Canoe Camper Done

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Juneaudave

Canoe Camper Done

Post by Juneaudave »

Using the stripping techniques for Bear Mountain...I finally finished the stripper Teardrop Trailer. Sides are WRC, ash, purple heart, and Alaska Yellow Cedar...

Galley cabinets are caned...not unlike canoe seats...

And one more shot...

Next weekend, we load up the Bob's Special and off for a road trip!!!...Juneaudave
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Awesome! Fantastic job! Quite an accomplishment! :applause
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

That looks great. I'll bet it is a lot of fun.
Do you have any photos of the layout inside?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The woody is absolutely gorgeous! :applause
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

Glen Smith wrote:The woody is absolutely gorgeous! :applause
Thank you. I'm a handsome guy! But, you should be saving the compliments for your new bride. :eyebrows
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Thank you. I'm a handsome guy! But, you should be saving the compliments for your new bride
:laughing :laughing :laughing

Thank you but I think you know who my comment was aimed at.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Thanks guys...I have some interior pics on the website SlumberMAX. We're loading up the Bob's Special and the trailer for Whitehorse this weekend so it ought to be fun!!!
Last edited by Juneaudave on Wed May 20, 2009 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Wow! Gorgeous. :applause
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I've seen so many Teardrop campers on the net that I can't even remember them all but never anything so beautiful. I hope to someday have the honor of camping next to your great work. Magnificent!!!!!!
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Juneaudave I have a bone to pick with you! :mad

You see, late on Tuesday evening, after looking at your gorgeous teardrop trailer, I started browsing your web pages and then moved on to the T&TTT forum, and then onto the galleries. I lost a good hour and a half, maybe two, of sleep due to your little trailer. If I was going to stay up that late, I should have been getting the kayak ready for spring. Instead, there I was staring in awe and interest at the computer screen. Wednesday I was tired all day at work (a busy day too yet), and today I'm only just recovered.

After all that research though, yours was by far the nicest camper that I saw.

Cheers,
Bryan

:wink
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

:eyebrows That's an interesting and friendly group over at the Teardrop site...you can spend hours there. I'm really looking forward to getting loaded up in the morning for the weekend. I spent so much time on the trailer, I neglected the boats this winter and had to hussle the past couple weeks getting scratches filled in and new coats of varnish on. I'm all set now thought for some paddling and fishing!!!
:tu :tu :tu :tu
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

I agree! I spent way too long looking at those trailers. I was already figuring out the design for what I'd like to build when I finally came to my senses. I remembered that I have neither the time or money to finish my canoe right now, much less start an even larger and more expensive project. I was wanting to build a teardrop trailer where the top popped straight up to a full stand up cabin. I didn't see any like that, but there's always got to be a first, if somebody hasn't already built one like that. I also agree that yours is the nicest one I saw. If you decide to raffle it off, I'll buy a ticket!
Tim ODonnell

Post by Tim ODonnell »

Your Teardrop is fantastic! I have been been thinking of making some sort of box to put on top of our pop up to carry fishing and boating gear. Probably canoe shaped with a hinged side for access.

Nice job on the camper.
Redbird Bernie

Re: Canoe Camper Done

Post by Redbird Bernie »

Juneaudave, great work, it's absolutely gorgeous!

For years I've been thinking about building one using the stripping technique, and it was a complete surprise to find your post while searching for plan ideas. My concern with the strip approach is the extreme exposure to the elements that must be endured. How has it worked out for you? What kind of service to the "hull" do you need to do on a regular basis?

I hope you don't mind but I have a boatload of additional questions for you, most of which other members will probably be interested in as well.

Which specific design did you start building from and why?
Did you buy or build the trailer portion?
Did you incorporate brakes?
How heavy is the finished teardrop trailer?
What thickness strips did you use?
Did you add insulation?
What kind of amenities did you include, portapotty?, heater?
Has the possibility of it being stolen been a concern to you?
What would you do differently?
Where do you store the thing when not in use? This is too nice to keep outside and uses a full parking space.

One last question, where do you put your canoe when trailering? From your picture, it looks like the canoe would hit the trailer when car-topping.

Thanks, Bernie