Pack for solo tripping?

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Patricks Dad

Pack for solo tripping?

Post by Patricks Dad »

With Christmas approaching and a solo boat about 1/3 complete I've started thinking about getting a backpack for doing solo tripping. I've only paddled for extended periods as part of a group in the past. I own several larger packs but was thinking that a solo trip might offer an opportunity to buy another pack.

What is your favorite pack for solo tripping (say, a 7 day trek)?

What is you opinion of the Duluth Pack Monarch #3 (other than it seems pretty expensive)?

http://duluthpack.com/monarchs-canoe-pack.html

Final question: What new tool or piece of gear do you want for Christmas?

thanks in advance.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
stovetop

Post by stovetop »

That's a nice looking pack - but your right - costly! If you are looking at that, I dont think this will interest you but, I have always used Dry Bags with backpack straps on them for canoe tripping. I have used ones from NRS, Cabela's, LL Beans and had good luck with them. They dont have anything as far a comfortable suspension, but if you are just dragging them from the boat to the campsite a few feet away they fit the bill. Stuff stays dry, don't have to worry about a rain cover for them and they can take a serious beating as well - always a major plus to me at least. I think they can be had for around $80 - $125 depending on size and where you get it.

As for the tool I am hoping to get - I have had my eye on a Porter Cable Router with both the plunge and fixed base included. Building my canoe (Prospector) has gotten me interested in other wood working projects as well!

Happy Holidays!
"I'm up, I'm dressed, what else do you want?
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Randy, that looks like a great pack. Like stovetop, I only use drybags and SeaLine packs with straps and belt. How does one keep things dry in a pack like that, do you need a liner? I sure do like the looks of these Duluth packs much more than the vinyl ones.

stovetop, I would highly recommend the DeWalt DW618B3 router. LINK I researched hard, and even took a couple choices back, and am very pleased with this unit. Home Depot carries it here at a decent price. I have had mine for a year now, and used all the bases lots. In my router table I built, I have a Porter Cable 3 1/4hp router motor that is dedicated to use there.
Last edited by BearLeeAlive on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JIM-
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Duluth packs do have liners. My prior use of them usually didn't depend on the liner but instead I stuffed dry sacks into them. I'm a big fan of drybags. Drybags with shoulder straps is a good idea I should look into. I want to be able to carry a pack on my back and the canoe on my shoulders while portaging. I'm ok with double portaging when necessary but even then a backpack carrying the gear on your back is easier.

thanks!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
stovetop

Post by stovetop »

Thanks for the suggestion on the router Jim - Looks nice and not much extra $$$ over the Porter Cable, but you get the 3rd base with it. I will take a look at that one for sure!
"I'm up, I'm dressed, what else do you want?