a reminder

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Rabbit

a reminder

Post by Rabbit »

not sure where else to put this. a canoe with 3 people fishing capsized in the past few days in this part of the world due to sudden gusts of wind. there was one fatality. the person in question wasn't wearing a pfd. i'm not sure what the laws in canada or america is, but here a type 3 or better vest is required by law if more than 100m from shore. there is a reason for that requirement. :sad
BearLeeAlive

Re: a reminder

Post by BearLeeAlive »

That is always sad too here, especially when it could have been avoided.

From Transport Canada.
Pleasure craft must have a Canadian approved device of the appropriate size for each person on board. You can choose between lifejackets and PFDs depending on your boating activity.
They do go on to explain the devices and how to size, use and care for them.
-JIM-
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

In Canada you must have a pfd but you don't have to wear it. Stupid!
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Is that still the case, Glen? I know I had heard of it, but thought it had changed.
-JIM-
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Well, deciphering Government legalese is not an easy task but as far as I can figure out, pfd's must be "available".
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

I guess if the guidelines are set, they leave the final decision up to the boater. I do know most power boats rarely have passengers with PRDs. I wear mine almost all the time now. I used to be less careful when close to shore on a nice day, but as I age I seem to be less willing to take chance. Never to old to learn, eh?
-JIM-
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I had to think about posting a reply here, it is a common topic that is easily ignored, regardless I will share an experience and a couple thoughts on the matter.

I have wilderness camped/canoed for well over 30 years and had never had an incident. I would, as others posted, shed my PFD when close to shore or even because it was a hot day.

Three years ago, on a trip with just my son and I, the unthinkable happened. Hopping between islands, on a big lake with high winds and the requisite waves that creates (hence hopping between islands), we got caught in waves coming from 2 directions. We didn't capsize, it was more or less just a sudden swamping and in the course of 3 waves, we were swimming. The gear wasn't attached to the canoe, but thankfully we both had the PFDs fastened and adjusted. My son managed to snag the pack loops and we spent 45 minutes working our way to shore with our gear. Fortunately, we pack for wet and made it ashore, shaken,cold but intact, with only the lunch snacks ruined. We made camp on the island, got warm and generally tried to stop shaking. It might not have been a good ending without the PFDs.

I don't even think of not wearing the PFD now, I also make sure any gear is attached to the canoe, so if anything happens, there is less to worry about.

Finally, a question "Have you ever just flipped a canoe, or even just jumped in deep water with your PFD on?" My biggest challenge was that I hadn't ever seriously experienced what a PFD will do in the water and in this case rough water. They are designed to float you on your back, making it a continual struggle to orient yourself upright, which you need to do to assess what needs to be done. Having the experience of how to work your PFD before hand would have made my first minute, in the water, a whole lot easier. So, if you haven't ever just jumped in with your PFD to see how it works and what it wants to do, I would suggest you try it ... better to learn on your terms than natures.

Brian