peleminies

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Rodney

peleminies

Post by Rodney »

I wanted to share this recipe, an old family favorite. I like to make them at this time of the year, rationing myself to cold weather days in memory of old Siberia. They were carried buy Siberians in there saddle bags (or possibly dog sled bags) and just dropped in boiling water. Possibly they could be carried by Eskimos or those with kayaks.

Pelmenies (sp?) are little balls of ground beef mixed with grated onion. They are warped in small dough pillow which is pinched closed. They are delicious. I like them with hot sauce and vodka or red wine. In very expensive Russian restaurants they can be obtained in small quantities.

To make the dough mix white flour and water to a workable mixture. This takes experience. Then roll it out and cut them with a large jar and use these rounds to cover the meat balls (really about a half inch ball). Fold them over and pinch.

Cook them in boiling water with a few bay leaves and pepper corns.

Experience helps. A few shots of vodka help too!

It's sort of fun to do with the family and freeze the rest that you don't eat. They keep well. You never know when you might find yourself in Siberia. - Rod

Post by Guest »

Instead of making a dough, try using premade won ton wrappers from the asian aisle in the supermarket. They'll be lighter and will hold up better.