Toboggan

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
mtpocket

Toboggan

Post by mtpocket »

Greetings fellow builders,

Does anyone out there have any plans for building a toboggan sled using wood strip/epoxy? We, here in central Indiana, got seven inches of snow yesterday and another eight inches last night. It's great weather to stay inside and work on my boat, but maybe I should be building a sled instead.
Doug

Post by Doug »

We are getting the snow in Ontario last night and right now (Thurday AM).
10 inches so far.

Could not find any thing on the building of them, but I did find something on riding one.

http://www.wedu.com/sledrun/tobogganrun.php

Good luck,
All the best in this Holiday Season,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Glen Smith

Build a toboggan

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Doug, this is a link to a *pdf* file on how to make a toboggan.
http://www.thelitterbox.org/librum/i-vf ... boggan.pdf
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Thanks Doug and Glen for the information. If I am able to get a toboggan built this coming year, I will post a picture. For what ever reason, I always thought these were made of maple. I have several different species of lumber lying around my garage. I'll just have to decide which to use. Then I can get out and act like a kid again on the hill in front of my house. The PDF file makes it easy. Thanks
mvettori

Post by mvettori »

The following link is not directions on how to build one, but this compnay sells them and they give quite a bit of info (i.e., type of wood, thickness, dimensions, etc.) It doesn't look too hard to duplicate simply by looking at the picture.

What a great idea, though! Its a little too late in the year now, but next year I'll have another project for the kids. If you decide to do one, post some pics and let us know what worked and didn't work.

Mike in Phila.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I must have missed the link. I am hoping to build one, but like you said, it is a little late this season to get used. I don't have small children, but I live high up on a hill and some of the neighbor kids like to use our front yard. I was thinking of building one and letting them use it if they wish. It's a good way to get the kids off the couch.
mvettori

Post by mvettori »

No, you didn't miss it...I goofed. Here's the link:

http://www.totalwoodproducts.com/.sc/ms ... c/ee/1/249

Mike
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Thanks mvettori,

They sure have some pretty toboggans. I would like to build one similar to their 6' sno-rocket. I don't have any white ash lumber laying around, but it shouldn't be hard to find. I was hoping to build it with maple, just not sure yet. My wife has some honeydoos on the list for me so this might have to wait until fall.
mvettori

Post by mvettori »

He he he, I hear ya...my wife's honey-do's are building up too...she's still not happy with me for starting my Bob's Special...and that was six months ago! I have a feeling I'm going to have to step away from it in March, take care of some of her items, then get back to it in April! I was hoping to be on the water by Memorial Day...now its starting to look more like 4th of July!

My kids are still pretty young. I have an eight year old and six year old twins and our back yard has a pretty good hill on it so I'm sure they would get a kick of it. That's pretty nice of you to make something like that for the kids in your neighborhood. I hope they appreciate it and the time it takes for you to make it.

I agree with you, the 6' Sno-Rocket is the nicest one. It looks like they are using seven 1/4" strips that are somewhere between 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" wide. I'm not an expert carpenter by any means, so I'm not totally certain how to mill strips like that. I only have a table saw and I don't think the blade goes that high. Would a band-saw be more appropriate for cutting strips that wide?
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Not my band saw! I wouldn't even try unless I was willing to burn it up. What I would do is cut the strips in the table saw and then plane them down to the prescribed thickness. I might end up with more waste this way, but I won't lose any fingers. My table saw is 10" so it will cut the depth but it would be better to rip half way through then flip it over and run it through a second time. The only planing would be just to even up any difference between the two cuts, which should be minor if you have a good fence.

As for the appreciation, think about it. Do kids appreciate anything anymore. It's not the same as when we were kids. These neighbors are good kids but they wouldn't have a clue about how hard or how long a person works to make things easier or more fun for them. I will probably get as much enjoyment watching them as they will have using it. Their parents will appreciate my efforts because it will get them off the couch and out of the house. I remember when I was little, we never stayed in the house unless it was time to eat or go to bed. In addition to the neighbors, I have some nephews that will beg for a trip down the hill. What can I say, I'm a nice guy.
mvettori

Post by mvettori »

Hey, good news. I'm going to take a shot at building the baby sleigh:

http://www.totalwoodproducts.com/.sc/ms ... y%20Sleigh

My wife's sister is expecting and will deliver in June. I convinced her that this would make a great baby gift! She went for it. I got comfortable working with ash on my canoe, so I'm going to stick with that. I'll post some messages from time to time with pictures and let you know how its going.

Mike in Phila.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

mvettori,

That is a neat litlle ride. Don't throw away the scraps when you're finished, as you already know, they grow like weeds. "Uncle Mike" .........It has a nice ring to it. Now who's being the nice guy?
Last edited by mtpocket on Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Not a toboggan sled, but I'm currently working on a set of cross country skis. I somehow measured my laminations incorrectly and didn't have enough cedar for the center section, so I just used some old strips left over from my kayak. So far, so good and only on major mistake. I'll have to post a picture when they're done.

BTW, I just went out yesterday snowshoeing on snowshoes that I built this winter.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Bryan, post some pictures so we can all enjoy them.
mvettori

Post by mvettori »

MT,

I started the project last week. I thought I'd put some pics up to let you know how its going.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mike_vett ... .dir=/15df

I had some trouble bending the wood. I split quite a bit with some of the hard bends, but I got the last one bent today. Once I let the upper railing dry, I'll start sanding, then stain the skis and seat rail. I'll put up some more pics when I get a little further.

Mike in Phila.