Ceder Plank Salmon

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Juneaudave

Ceder Plank Salmon

Post by Juneaudave »

Here's a good use for all those cedar scraps...

1 whole, wild, Alaskan salmon fillet (coho, sockeye or king)
Lemon Pepper
3 sprigs fresh dill, snipped
Salt and pepper
Lemon wedges

Immerse an untreated, 20-inch cedar plank suitable for cooking use in water; soak at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. If in the boat, wrap soaked plank up in garbage bag ahead of time till you want to use it. Place salmon fillet, skin side down, on soaked plank. Sprinkle with lemon pepper, dill, salt, and pepper.

Place planked salmon in center of cooking grate. Grill 25 to 30 minutes or until salmon is opaque in center and flesh flakes easily with a fork. Garnish with lemon wedges.

I use either charcoal or alder wood for the fire...Juneaudave
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Yes... Alder has got to be the best wood I've found to smoke fish with.
The Indians around here showed me that one and they try to get alder that's been down for a while that has a growth of mold on and under the bark.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
GeirB

Post by GeirB »

I warmsmoke/ bake salmon in a "Abu Smoker" with alder. Salt the filet heavily for two three hours with thin slices of fresh ginger, use much heat and not so much alder and let the gingerflakes go in the smoker with the fish. Eat still warm. Heavenly

Geir
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Last weekend, I had a large fillet of salmon to put on the grill. I soaked a few cedar scraps in water for an hour and threw them on the grill next to the salmon and let it smoulder. while I sprinkled squeezed lemons over the salmon along with some dill weed. The salmon had a nice cedar smoked flavor to it.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com