Voyageur Canoe filming

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Peter Kotowych

Voyageur Canoe filming

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Hey,

CBC is making a film about the voyageurs this summer.
They are looking for people to sign up. The trip will be from Montreal to Winnipeg.
One of the requirements is that you have to speak French.
Applications will be accepted until Feb 15.
Information can be obtained from the CBC web site. Then go to 'sadgoat.ca'
If that doesn't work the cbc number of the show it was mentioned is 1-888-sadgoat.
They could give you the site for sure.
I'd love to go, but... ne parle pas francais.
Let us know if someone makes it.

Pete
Doug

Post by Doug »

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Glen Smith

Voyageurs

Post by Glen Smith »

I emailed the person responsible for the Voyageur Reality Project to get all of the info. I will post it here if and when I get it.
Glen Smith

Voyageur Reality Project

Post by Glen Smith »

This is the info I received. If someone wants it in French, I have that too. Just ask for it and I will email it to you. :dancing

Winnipeg, December 8, 2004 For immediate distribution

Are you up for a challenge? Do you have the taste for adventure?
Are you a nature lover, an amateur historian, a backwoods explorer?
Are you looking for a totally unique experience?

Les Productions Destination in Ottawa and Les Productions Nor’Ouest in Winnipeg are looking for 8 participants and a guide to join a voyage unlike any other ever filmed for television. This journey will be the subject of a documentary series to be filmed between the end of May and the beginning of September 2005 and broadcast by TVA et TFO. Destination Nor’Ouest is a historical documentary series of eight one hour episodes that will chronicle the physical and emotional experiences of 9 men and women as they travel the traditional fur trade route by canoe. Throughout the 100 day expedition spanning more than 2500 kilometres from the Lachine Canal (Montreal) to the Red River Valley (Winnipeg), these modern-day voyageurs will confront the elements and test their mettle encountering challenges inspired by the way of life of the Voyageurs of the past.

Whenever possible, our modern-day ‘Voyageurs’ will navigate the same rivers, paddle the same lakes, follow the same portage trails, live off the land and dress as the very first voyageurs did. Each day, they will travel an average of 40 to 50 km and camp at night out under the stars.

A Selection Committee will choose fifteen (15) finalists from among eligible candidates. Those chosen must undergo a medical exam and a criminal record check. Finalists will then participate in a training camp, during which experts will teach such necessary skills as canoeing technique and environmentally conscious wilderness survival. In addition, participants will have an opportunity to learn more about the life of the Voyageur, as they will be expected to model Voyageur habits and customs – style of dress, food and so on.

These modern voyageurs will bring the echoes of the past to life and commemorate history in all its authenticity and magnitude!

Participant requirements:
• Completely fluent in French
• Minimum 18 years of age
• Good level of physical fitness and ability to swim
• Various outdoor experience
• Interest in history, and/or willingness to challenge oneself, seek adventure
• Desire and ability to dedicate oneself for a period of at least 3 months (ability to be absent from personal and professional life for the duration of the voyage)

Additional requirements for the position of guide:
• Extensive canoe and wilderness survival experience
• Passion for Canadian history and geography (especially for the history of the Voyageurs)
• Good communication skills and an ability to explain historical and technical information to non-experts

To apply please send:
1- your resume (please include your wilderness experience)
2- a recent photo
3- a letter that includes the following :
 a self introduction that describes your personality
 what motivates you to take part in this adventure and why you think you should be chosen;
 any expertise you may have or keen interests in areas essential to the expedition; (for example : I am a meteorologist who can read weather patterns)
 other assets that you would bring to the adventure: (for example: being an historian, a geologist, a chef, an athlete, a musician or a passionate outdoors person)

Les Productions Nor’Ouest Inc.
354 Marion Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R2H 0V3

For more information :
Gabrielle Touchette - Coordinator Tel.: (204) 233-0694, ext. 243
E-mail: gtouchette@productionsrivard.com