Hull Identification Numbers

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
mtpocket

Hull Identification Numbers

Post by mtpocket »

I am willing to play by the rules even though I don't like them. I won't take my ball and go home. I was issued numbers to affix to my hull called HIN numbers when I ordered materials. I put the numbers on the hull while glassing the exterior just like the instructions said. Now, I talk to a buddy of mine and he says I have to register the boat with the state of Indiana, even if I never launch in on state waters.

:sad

Questions:

1. Is he telling me the truth and our govenor is just crazy?
2. Is this true for other states as well?
3. Is anything else required that I don't know about?
4. Are the rules the same in every state?
5. Is there something I should know before I plan a trip to Canada?
6. What exactly are my taxes paying for?

:confused
Last edited by mtpocket on Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Yeah. it's true...I'm not sure about my canoe in Alaska, but I know I will have to register the Rice Lake. For me, its a matter of making it look good. I'm going to put the AK numbers on with gold leaf along with the boat nome...Seems stupid!...Juneaudave
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Hey Juneaudave,

Does it matter if you have a motor or not? I thought some of these rules only applied to boats with motors.
Bud

Post by Bud »

MT, here is a link to the relevant material for Indiana. Looks to be the same as Georgia, but I think some other states may require numbers for non-motorized canoes.
http://www.boat-ed.com/in/handbook/register.htm
Bud
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Whether or not you have to register a canoe or kayak depends on which state you live in, and whether or not you plan to paddle in a state which requires registration. Each state is allowed to set their own rules and regulations, but other states are required to recognize the registrations from other states, but occasionally you run into a situation where one state requires a craft to be registered that an other state doesn't, so if you live in the later state, you must conform to the former states rules if you visit. I've never registered or helped someone register a canoe in IN, so you will have to check with the proper state or county authorities to find out if you will be required to register it in IN. Out of the states that I've worked with, they all seem to have different ways to register. For example, in Iowa you go to the county recorders office, in IL you have to fill out a form and send it in, in MN you have to work through the DNR or a local registration office, and in WI you don't have to register a canoe or kayak. Also, an example of the differences in regulations between the states. In Iowa any canoe or kayak 13' or more must be registered, and if you plan on sailing the canoe or kayak, it must be registered at any length. In MN, I live here now so I should know this, but I believe that any canoe or kayak 9' or over must be registered, but in MN you only have to put the registration sticker on the boat. In Iowa, you have to affix the same 2 letter, 4 number, 2 letter, that you are required by the coast guard to affix to all other types of watercraft.

Usually, the state will also issue a HIN (Hull ID Number) to permanently affix to your craft if it is a homebuilt craft, but it sounds like you already have this covered.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Come and paddle in (Ontario) Canada.
You don't need the numbers here.
....unless you have a motor.

All the best,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Thanks guys,

This information has been most helpful. It will take me a day or two to cipher through all of it. If I have more questions, I know where to go for answers.
hoz

Post by hoz »

unless you put a motor on it canoes are NOT required to be licenced in the state of Indiana. at the present time...
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
mvettori

Post by mvettori »

MT,

Sounds like Indianna is similar to Pennsylvania. Here, a canoe only needs to be registered if it will be used in State parks and recreation areas...and that accounts for probably 50% of the places you will use a canoe in the state! Its just another way to squeeze an extra $25 from a state resident.

Apparently, they will assign me a Hull ID Number as well. I guess if I have any marks on the finish I want to hide I can cover them up with those attractive black numbers and stickers!

Mike in Phila.

hull identification numbers

Post by guest »

Doug wrote:Come and paddle in (Ontario) Canada.
You don't need the numbers here.
....unless you have a motor.
Gentlemen,

In Canada every pleasure craft homebuilt, manufactured or imported (including canoes and kayaks) must be permanently marked with a Hull Identification Number.

Also every homebuilt, manufactured or imported boat fitted or capable to be fitted with an engine (...a boat with transom) must have affixed to it a Single Vessel Label with the following information:

Manufactured or Home-built.
Model type.
Label number.
Statement of requirement for compliance.
Capacity ratings.
HIN number.

For more information in Canada contact the “Office of Boating Safety/Transport Canada”.

The US has similar regulations, for more information contact the “USCG, Office of Boating Safety”.
hoz

ID # vs Registration #

Post by hoz »

Yes, there is a difference between a Hull ID number and a registration number. I believe every boat should have a Hull ID #. But a canoe, in Indiana, doesn't have to be registered unless you install a motor.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar

hull identification numbers

Post by Guest »

Here is the US rules:

U.S. Department of Transportation
United States Coast Guard
SAFETY
STANDARDS
FOR
BACKYARD
BOAT BUILDERS
COMDTPUB P16761.3B

Page 37:

HULL IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS
All boats must bear two Hull Identification Numbers (HINs). The HIN is like a serial
number. It is a unique number that identifies your boat. The HIN is not the same as
the State registration number which may also be required to be displayed on the bow
of your boat. DO NOT CONFUSE THESE TWO NUMBERS. The HIN is a Federal
requirement; your boat’s registration number is a State requirement similar to the
license plate on your car.
When you start to build your boat or while you are building it, write to your State
boating agency (their addresses appear at the end of this pamphlet), tell them that you
are building a boat and that you need a Hull Identification Number (HIN). You can also
inquire about your registration number at the same time. Not all State agencies issue
HINs, but those that do not will probably refer you to the nearest Coast Guard District
Office (their addresses also appear at the end of this pamphlet).
When you receive your HIN it will look something like this:
ABZ98765E393
The first two letters are an abbreviation for the State in which you live. The “Z”
indicates that the first two letters indicate a State and not an abbreviation for the name
of a commercial manufacturer. The next five characters (numbers or letters) are a
serial number which uniquely identifies your boat. The last four characters represent
the month and year your boat was built. In the HIN above the boat was built in May
TWO HINS MUST BE PERMANENTLY DISPLAYED ON YOUR BOAT
THE PRIMARY HIN
On boats with transoms: The primary HIN must be affixed to the starboard (right) side
of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale or hull and deck
joint, whichever is lowest.
On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to use the
transom: The primary HIN must be affixed to the starboard (right) outboard side of the
hull, aft, within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of the hull side,
gunwale or hull and deck joint, whichever is lowest.
On catamarans and pontoon boats which have readily replaceable hulls: The primary
HIN must be affixed to the aft crossbeam within one foot of the starboard (right) hull
attachment.
NOTE;
IF THE HIN WOULD NOT BE VISIBLE BECAUSE OF RAILS, FITTINGS OR
OTHER ACCESSORIES, IT MUST BE AFFIXED AS NEAR AS POSSIBLE TO
THE LOCATIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE.
THE SECONDARY HIN
A secondary HIN must be affixed in an unexposed location inside the boat or beneath
a fitting or item of hardware.
For example: On a dinghy you could place the secondary HIN on the inside surface of
the hull beneath a seat or thwart or underneath the rubrail. On runabouts the
secondary HIN could be placed on the inside surface or the hull up forward under the
forward deck, behind the remote controls, or underneath a cleat. The idea here is to
place the secondary HIN in a place that is unexposed that someone would not
normally be able to find unless they really looked for it closely. Do not put the second
HIN on a part of the boat that is easily or normally removable.
The secondary HIN will help the authorities identify your boat if a thief removes or
damages the primary HIN you affix to the transom.
PERMANENTLY AFFIXED
Each of your HINs must be permanently affixed. They must be carved, burned,
stamped, embossed, molded, bonded or otherwise permanently affixed so that
alteration, removal or replacement would be obvious. If the HINs are on separate
plates, the plates must be fastened in such a way that their removal would normally
cause some scarring of or damage to the surrounding hull area. For example, if you
use a separate plate, use wood screws or pop rivets and epoxy to affix it to the hull.
SIZE
The letters and numbers in your HIN must be at least ¼ inch high. They can be larger,
but not smaller.