Identification of Indian Chief

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
canoebuildinggolfer

Post by canoebuildinggolfer »

Does anyone know who this Indian Chief is ? I have already 'lifted' him and enlarged it to a suitable size for leading the canoe...I'd just like to know his name...I know I'm going to be asked....so I will need to identify him. Thanks TC
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

Crazy Horse? Although he was a plains Indian and I think more inclined to be on a horse than in a canoe.

http://www.etsu.edu/cas/history/resourc ... pter16.htm
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I'm not sure who the indian is, but the indian in the picture is not Crazy Horse. It is Red Cloud (old) - Mahpiya Luta (Oglala Sioux) 1822-1909. From all that I have read, Crazy Horse never allowed his picture to be taken. He also only lived for 32 to 35 years.

http://digilander.libero.it/Bologna16/i ... /faces.htm
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

mtpocket wrote:I'm not sure who the indian is, but the indian in the picture is not Crazy Horse. It is Red Cloud (old) - Mahpiya Luta (Oglala Sioux) 1822-1909. From all that I have read, Crazy Horse never allowed his picture to be taken. He also only lived for 32 to 35 years.

http://digilander.libero.it/Bologna16/i ... /faces.htm
You mean my refernce source, a six grade student web site, had less than accurate information? I will email the Principal.
:razz
Doug

Post by Doug »

mtpocket,

Outstanding photographs and information.
Thanks,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I cannot take credit for the photos or the info, I just knew where they were, but you're welcome.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

My guess is that it isn't any real person, but just pendant of what the artist thought a Native American chief would look like. So my vote goes to Crazy Horse. Maybe Black Hawk.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi It's Me, the Indian Chief you posted above is supposedly Red Cloud according to the "properties" of the photo you posted.
culturecop

Post by culturecop »

It may be cultural imperialism if you don't get permission to use the image.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

To canoebuildinggolfer,

Whoever it is really doesn't matter, it's a beautiful piece of jewelry you have. What are your plans for it?
canoebuildinggolfer

Well.... :thinking ......my plan was to put it on the bow/stern of my canoe.....it purposely was built to look like an "Indian canoe".....opposed to a Canadian canoe....???? :big grin....being the Vietnam vet. that I am :crying .....I've had enough confrontation to last me a lifetime.....I think I've just built a CANADIAN canoe and am very happy with it ....thanks very much to everyone for thier input... :smile .....thanks again TC
canoebuildinggolfer

Sorry MTP.... :rolling eyes ...what I COULD have done was ... :thinking ....enlarge the image, save it to 'bitmap'..doctor it....print it onto tranparency film in grayscale with 'best' printing mode.... :twisted evil ..and then ???? :frightened ...maybe, put it on my canoe....... IF I had of done this it would probably look like this....[imhttp://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/CC/11/canoebuildinggolfer/1/1e.jpgg]....ONLY if this is what I was going to do :sealed lips .....hope you understand TC
canoebuildinggolfer

http://au.msnusers.com/canoebuildinggol ... snw?Page=3 Maybe this is a better link......TC
Old indians

Post by Old indians »

I do love it when we talk about the old Indians!

I was reading recently that the local Powahatan showed little interest in horses which the English imported here in Virginia being orientated toward canoe traffic.

Oh what if we could return to this as our primary means of transport?-Rod
Chris Ostlind

Indian Horses

Post by Chris Ostlind »

And here I always thought the introduction of the horse was due to the Spanish Conquistador influence throughout the North American plains and western regions. That would have taken place long before the English even thought of landing a colony in Virginia, wouldn't it?

Chris