Bannock

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Doug

Bannock

Post by Doug »

Any "Bannock" recipes out there?

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Rick

Post by Rick »

The bread of the north and more:

http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/JMC/Olson/9705.htm
Doug

"Basic Bannock"

Post by Doug »

"Basic Bannock"

1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3 Tbs. powder milk
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all dry ingredient and add water slowly until dough is slightly sticky.
Separate into three to four patties and fry in an oiled frying pan over moderate heat until both sides are a goldern brown.

options;
-1 tbsp sugar
-1 egg
-1 tbsp. margarine
-cinnamon
-raisins

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
ron

Banock

Post by ron »

What we did with our junior wildlife kids, is we took sticks simillar to wiener roast sticks, wraped the banock dough around the end of the stick, held it over the fire till golden brown, pulled it off the stick and filled with jam. That way the kids looked after there own dinner!! :eyebrows
hoz

Post by hoz »

When we paddled down the Missinaibi River to Moose Factory/Moosonee we stopped in Moose Factory (a Cree village and one of the original sites of a Hudsons Bay post) .The Native women had tepees set up around town and were cooking and selling bannock. It was a cold rainy day and we stopped in more than one for the treat.

The bannock was simply flour, lard, baking powder and water. It was made into a dough and the dough was formed like a long cigar or a small french baguette around the end of cooking sticks. The sticks were 3' long, cleaned of bark and shaped like an egg in cross section. They had the look of being used often.

The sticks were propped in a circle around the small fire with the lady turning them when needed. When done a simple twist of the bannock would break it loose from the stick and it would slide off easily.

They were served with your choice of jam, sugar or peanut butter.

the conversation around the fire was interesting also. Talking about their village, life on James Bay and how things have changed in the area.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar