keeping track of planks when ripping

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
joatmon

keeping track of planks when ripping

Post by joatmon »

I just finished ripping my planks and cutting the cove and bead and I wanted to keep track of the boards so I could make the planks match as I strip. I took a box of crayons and using the brightest colors, completely marked the end of every board a different color. When I finished, sorting was pretty easy. I don't know if anyone else has done this but it worked well for me. Important note: Do both ends! I didn't and had alot of flipping to do. (I did think of it but was anxious to get started) I had to buy short stock and this should enable me to match the grain pretty close at the joints.
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I; label each board; A, B, C, ......
When ripped, I then ladel each board strip; A1, A2, A3, .....
It is labeled at the end of each strip after the cut.
Each board, when stripped or cut, is taped together when finished and is ready as a group.
When installing my strips I can take strips from several boards (to mix the colour), but always "book marked".
e.g., A1 & A2; C1 & C2, B1 & B2, .....
(A1 would be placed opposite A2)
This gives a mirror view down the center line.

Happy stripping,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

I did exactly what Doug did as the strips came off of the saw blade, except I flipped every other two strips over so that I would get groups of at least four, six, eight, ten, twelve or fourteen bookmatched strips to mirror one another on each side of the canoe. The way things worked out... all the odd number strips are on one side of the canoe and all the even numbered strips are on the other side of the canoe.
The only thing that I didn't like about this method, is if one strip has a defect in it, three other strips got shoved aside. This only happened a couple of times because I searched out the most premium wood that I could find. I just used a sharpie perminate felt tipped marker and I had to renumber them after I planned them.
When it came time to put the bead and coves on, I had to remember that I didn't need to do anymore flipping of my strips.