Getting started?

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Jay (Shorty)

Getting started?

Post by Jay (Shorty) »

I would like to get into strip building canoes and later on a boat... I am very nervous about starting this, what would you reccomend for a good starting project?

I have done a good bit of woodworking and a lot of remodeling. I have good problem solving skills and a fair amount of tools/shop space... What would you reccomend as the basic tool set before starting this project?

Thanks, for any inputs,
Shorty
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Jay,

Welcome to this forum. First, I would suggest you get a copy of Canoecraft and read it. Most of your tool related questions will be answered. Then decide on a style of canoe, order the plans, and jump right in. If you run into a problem you cannot solve yourself, there are many members here who have probably had the same problem and can help you with a suggestion. I have wanted to build a canoe/boat since I was 15 years old. I am 47 now and half-way through my first, a Chestnut Prospector by Bear Mt. I am having the time of my life. I found many excuses along the way to put it off, so this winter I just "jumped in" and I am glad I did. I can tell you that it will not be my last.

Get the book, buy some plans, build your boat. Everything will fall into place.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Doug

Post by Doug »

I picked up CanoeCraft in 1993 and read it 2-3 times. I picked up several more books and read them as well.
With the help of the internet (forums) today you can do it.
The help here is outstanding.

The easy part is building the canoe.
The tricky part is getting ready to build it.

The first one is a long slow process.

All the best,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Jay...Do you think you will build from a kit or from scratch? If you are going to mill your own strips etc...you will need some additional tools.
Jay (Shorty)

Post by Jay (Shorty) »

Was planning on building from scratch using a set of plans. What additional tools would you reccomend? This link shows what my set up is now...
Jay's Workshop Photos
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Jay, You will need a lot more....................................Glue!
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
joatmon

Tools

Post by joatmon »

It sounds like you'll have most of the power tools you'll need. I just got to sanding the inside on my 15' Ranger and the only oddball tool that I didn't have when I started was a set of cabinet scrapers which came in very handy throughout the process. A sharp paint scraper can also work. I also read everything I could find about building a canoe (library, internet forums and websites). If you mill your own strips, plane them to 1/4 inch. I didn't and had ALOT of extra sanding on the inside where the random orbital wouldn't fit so it was all by hand. On the plus side, I'll be in condition for paddling this season. I have a similar backround (woodworking, remodeling) and with the help of this forum there hasn't been anything I couldn't handle. The epoxy was a little tricky until I got used to working with it. Pick up a copy of Canoecraft, order your plans and jump in, I did and have no regrets. (except skipping planing) Good luck and have fun.
An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Jay...Looks like your in great shape!!! I use a old Shopsmith I bought in a garage sale out in the rain, in a garage that has no heat, with a set of eyeballs that have difficulty seeing even if I had light!. I think you will do well!...Juneaudave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Jay, if you plan on building with Bead & Cove strips, make sure you have a set of router bits and some featherboards.

Come here for advice and problem solving ideas and buid yourself a boat.

Enjoy your project.
Ericthenorse

Post by Ericthenorse »

I think you are well on your way.... You already have a good crying chair.... :laughing
ealger

Shop tools

Post by ealger »

Jay, that's a pretty nice shop! It looks like you've done a lot of work on the dust collection system. I trust you have a ground wire inside the PVC pipe?
Ed...
Ed Alger