Glassing Mishap

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
KARKAUAI

Glassing Mishap

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, all,
I just finished glassing (MAS slow on 6 oz glass) the outside of my new outrigger hull, and had a problem I thought might be helpful to other newbies.

After the first few batches of 150cc of epoxy, I started using 180cc batches with no problems. Got a little tired of going to the epoxy so often and mixed up a 210 cc batch. I was nearing the stem and futzed around with the glass at the end a bit, then moved to the other end of the canoe. By then the batch was starting to kick, the roller was starting to kick, and I forged ahead anyway. Bad move. In one vertical area on the hull, the epoxy was just too far gone to soak into the glass adequately and I ended up with some of the glass fibers unsoaked and appearing white at certain angles to the light. It's not terrible, and if it only shows when the hull is upside down, I'm not going to fix it. If it shows worse in the sunlight or can be seen when the hull is upright, I'll remove the glass in that area and patch a new piece in. Lesson is that I should have kept my batches smaller and changed the roller halfway through the glassing.

Damn, got a little cocky about what I was doing and paid the price.
A hui ho,
Kent
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Well Kent, I see you decided to not let the movers destroy this boat. You are going to try to do it yourself. Over-confidence can be costly when woking with epoxy as you noticed. I hope it turns out ok.

Best of luck.