Fixing gaps

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
canoeblderinmt

Fixing gaps

Post by canoeblderinmt »

I guess it happens to the best of us: we clamp, staple, tape, screw etc, and still after sanding we have gaps between strips. You can mix up some epoxy and fill the gaps that way, but I have another method. I use strips of wood and CA glue to fill the gaps. It works fast, and gaps virtually disappear, especially of you take a moment to match wood color. Here is a link to some pictures that show and describe the process:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y258/cano ... ng%20Gaps/

Hope this is helpful.

Greg
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Nice repair, Greg. Now if you can just keep from banging your thumbnail with the hammer, we'll start thinking of you as a master craftsman.
A hui ho,
Kent
JeremyT

Post by JeremyT »

Sorry for asking a newbie question.. but what is CA glue?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

CA glue = Cyanoacrylate glue = Crazy Glue = Super Glue = Many other brand names. When sprayed with a CA accelerator, it hardens almost instantly.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Thanks, Karkauai!
Actually, I hurt both my thumbs putting up a cultured stone fireplace. I had just put up a stone, which came loose and fell. I caught it, and while I was holding it, another very large stone came down and cracked me across the thumbs. Boy did that hurt! :crying Finished the fireplace another day.

I put the last strip in last night! had a little gap so I used the above technique to fill it. I've got a few more to do along with the planing and sanding. Should be ready for epoxy next week, but I'm going to inlay an eagle with ebony and mother of pearl on either side of the bow first. She's a big, beautiful girl, for sure. Because of her beam, I'm going to have to either cut my already short sawhorses or build a ramp along either side, as I cannot reach across her from the floor. Man, I can't wait to get her wet!

I'll keep you posted.

Greg
iamppdoc

Post by iamppdoc »

Hi Greg, Tell us about your inlay. How are you routing the recess for it? How are you comming up with the inlay? Any pictures?
Thanks, Ed
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Ed,
I went on the internet and found a picture of a soaring eagle I liked and printed it on heavy stock paper. I traced that pattern onto some ebony that I sliced to about 1/8" with my bandsaw. That's where I am right now. I've been working on the hull and getting her faired and smooth. Mostly I'm putting off cutting the ebony because I know this will be tedious work and I'm wanting to be in the right frame of mind.
I bought an attachment for my Dremel tool that turns it into a router of sorts. I'll use this to rout out most of the stock on the hull and knives and carving tools for the small parts around the edge. I'll rout about 1/16" or 3/32" deep, so that the inlay is proud and then sand it flush.
In order to add some detail to the eagles black body, I am making the body in two pieces, and using some thick silver wire I found in the beading isle of the craft store to separate the two. When I sand it down, the round wire will look like a flat sliver inlay. I could not find a source for finished pieces of mother of pearl, so I bought full shells that I'll have to cut and machine down. I will wear a respirator for this work as some shells are pretty noxious and can even be toxic. I don't think Abalone is, but better safe than sorry. Then I'll cut those pieces for the tail and head, with probably some of the wire to add detail. I'll probably use dyed maple or canarywood (If I can find some) for the beak and feet. I'll use thick CA glue to hold it all in. Sand it smooth with progressively finer grits of paper (I'll go to about 1200 grit for the abalone) and glass over it. I think It'll look cool. I'll post some pictures as I go.

Have you done any inlay, Ed?

Greg
iamppdoc

Post by iamppdoc »

Sounds like a great project. I will look forward to the pictures. Good luck!
Ed