Fastening stem band

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
François

Fastening stem band

Post by François »

On my last canoe, I could not decide wether to glue the stem band or to screw it on. I understand that the regular approach is to use bedding compound under the band and to screw it on with countrsunck brass screw every 5 inches. Here is how I solved my dilemma. If you don't want screw heads to show, this is an approch worth considering.

- drilled holes every 5 inches as recommended as well as two on the part that goes on the bridge of the canoe
- sanded the cove part of the band wiht 50 grit sandpaper
- bented and adjusted the band carefully and temporarily fixed it with strong tape
- used the same holes to drill into the wood
- filletted each hole (band and wood) with a steel bolt
- removed the band in order to glue it on with thickened epoxy
- spread the epoxy and fixedthe band again with tape
- used brass bolts and spreaded them with some epoxy before threading them into the holes but leaving the head sticking out by about 1/8 of an inche
- after the hole thing dried out I simply did cut the head of the bolt and filed and sanded the bolt flush with the band

The final result is that the band is well fixed and that the fasteners (bolts) can't be seen unless you look very closely.

Here is a picture of the final result. Of course I selected the best portion. If you look closely there is a bolt just about in the middle of the picture.

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

François, I can't see the picture again, just a red "X" and I have verified with at least one other member and he can't see it either. Also, the properties show a file that is more than 600 pixels in width, this causes us to have to scroll off screen. Could you please limit the photo size to 600 pixels wide in the future.
François

Post by François »

The picture has been reduced to 600 by 450 pixels and the reference is the same. If it was the problem, you sould see it now, can you?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Thanks for reducing the photo but it still doesn't show up. I don't have this problem with pictures posted by other members.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Alright folks, please tell me if you can see the stem band picture posted by François in this thread. YES or NO.
Rick

Post by Rick »

NO!

..heh,heh...
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Yes, I can see it. Very nice job Francois!
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Hi, Glen, I couldn't see it until I cut and pasted the URL, then when I went back to the forum, it showed up fine.
A hui ho,
Kent
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Yes Kent, that works for me too but if I leave the forum and come back later, the pic is no longer there. This is not a normal situation.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Nice job Francois, and yes, I see the picture perfectly. I am on my home computer and have no problem viewing the picture. However, while at work today, I could not see the picture.

Update: I am back at work and can not see the picture.
François

Post by François »

Glen, since not everybody had access to the picture I originally posted from the server that is hosting my web site, I copied it to an other server in an attempt to solve the problem. Hopefully everybody can see it now.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That works fine for me, thank you. Like you said, you really have to look hard to know there is a screw in the brass band.