Inwale taper fixture

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
ealger

Inwale taper fixture

Post by ealger »

Tapering a 30" length of inwale can be interesting. Here's one way of doing it, perhaps the idea is obvious but it works for me. The fixture consists of 4 pieces of wood, Ply or solid (I call plates). The 2 center pieces being the same thickness of the inwales, and are clamped together with 2 outside plates whose thickness being something over 1/4".

The length of the fixture is a couple inches longer than the taper you desire. Screw the inner plates together with the tops flush to each other. Place the inwales on top of the inner plates with the ends aligned. Then sandwich the inwales and inner plates together with the 2 outside plates forming the desire taper from the end of the inwales. Use a couple of drywall screws to secure the outer plates to the inner plates.

The pictures show my fixture to taper my inwales at the ends to 1/64". It takes longer to explain then make the fixture!

Edit:
http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/ ... 20Fixture/
Last edited by ealger on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Alger
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That is indeed an interesting technique. I imagine one could also rough cut the taper then finalize it with a router and a piloted flush trim bit. :applause
ealger

Post by ealger »

Yes, with a flush cutting 2" bit, one could cut the tapers. Getting the ends down to 1/64" would be trickey but down to perhaps 1/8" would be a lot faster than hand planeing for sure.
Ed Alger