Hull Identification Number placement

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Patricks Dad

Hull Identification Number placement

Post by Patricks Dad »

An idea I should have had about a year ago... The Hull Identification Number for a canoe (in the US anyway) needs to be on the aft starboard side of the hull within 1 foot of the stearn and affixed in a manner that it would be obvious if it were removed or altered. Riveted metal plates are not acceptable (too easily removed/replaced). An approach that would seem acceptable and simple would be to (acquire your number early) and put it under your fiberglass/epoxy as you glass the hull. I've seen this approach used with other "features" on several canoes on this site but I hadn't thought of doing this for the HIN. Now I've got to epoxy a goofy plate on our Redbird. Other ideas for approaching this topic? What's the HIN regulations in Canada?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
ealger

HIN's

Post by ealger »

On the canoe I finished this May, I put the HIN on top of the first wet out coat as I forgot to put under the glass cloth. For the hidden HIN's I printed 2 on rice paper in mirrored characters and epoxied them on the underside of the decks. Because of the reversed image, they can be read with a mirror from the top side of the canoe.
I'll get the HIN's under the glass on the Ranger I have on the strongback now! :big grin
Ed Alger