keels

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
cherkas@shaw.ca

keels

Post by cherkas@shaw.ca »

Do I want to put a keel on my Prospector?
All comments welcome.
Thanks
Murray
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I believe that most people who build a Prospector select this model partly because of its maneuverability. Adding a keel would pretty well kill that aspect of the design. However, if you chose the Prospector for some other reason and want to improve its tracking, a keel could be the answer. Ted Moores recommends either a "shoe keel" or no keel at all on this boat.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Personally, I steer clear of keels. In a properly designed canoe, like the Prospector, good paddling technique will make up for any tracking advantages that you may gain from the keel. Plus, a keel, like Glen said, will take away from the maneuverability of the canoe making it more difficult to turn and it will take away many of the great characteristics of that hull design. Plus, extra weight, more work ...

So, unless you are highly, highly concerned about damaging the bottom of your canoe, I'd skip the keel.
cherkas@shaw.ca

keel

Post by cherkas@shaw.ca »

Thanks for the replys. I am not installing a keel. To be certain I planed down the stem to the top of the planking. No turning back now.

Thanks
Murray
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Murray, just for the records, a planed down stem won't prevent you from installing a keel. It is still possible to fair-in a keel but as I said before, I don't think you would really want one on a Prospector.
arcticranger

Keel or Not on the redbird?

Post by arcticranger »

have any of you guys installed keels on the bottom of the redbird?