Brush cleaning

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Danny Turner

Brush cleaning

Post by Danny Turner »

I know that a lot of you guys don`t go in for brush cleaning, it`s too messy and takes up too much time etc. But I just finished laminating the stems of my ( first ) canoe and with a few minutes work cleaned the brush thoroughly.
After the lamination, bending the stems etc., I removed the excess epoxy glue, plunged the brush into Paint Brush Restorer and worked it around for a minute or so. I then tipped the residue out, put in some fresh Restorer and worked it for another minute. Then it was into a pot of washing up liquid ( just a little ) and worked it into the bristles to get rid of the Restorer.
Finish up by flushing with cold water and wiping as dry as possible on news paper. The result, a brush ready to glue or epoxy another day.
The restorer should be available from most hardware stores.Appologies though, I can`t remember the name of it.
Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Have you tried vinegar followed by a fresh water rinse? Works pretty good too.

Snowman
Snowman back East
Danny Turner

Brush Cleaning

Post by Danny Turner »

Yes I`ve tried the vinegar method but the result I thought was harder to achieve than with the restorer. Mind you it`s always something to fall back on in an emergency ---- especiall if one of my friends come around to "look", with a bag of French fries in his hand.

Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I gave up on cleaning the brushes and now just buy a cheapo throw away brush for each coat. I wonder if you would actually save money by using the cleaning product because you have to throw so much of it away.

Bryan
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Bryan,

I concur with your approach - I do the same (especially since I can get 2" chip brushes for about $0.20 each!). For this price, I can't be bothered... I generally just use vinegar to clean up anything that I need to save.

Snowman
Snowman back East
Doug

Post by Doug »

I varnish with a new foam brush everytime.
I have never tried freezing a brush with varnish on. I do for house paints.

http://www.greenval.com/FAQvarnishing.html

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Danny Turner

Brush cleaning

Post by Danny Turner »

Doug,

You mentioned "foam" brushes. I can`t say for sure I`ve ever seen one. Never had reason to use one I suppose. You recomend this type for applying varnish ?

Danny
Glen Smith

Foam brushes

Post by Glen Smith »

Here you go Danny, foam brushes. I use nothing else with spar varnish. It is easy to do a good job and they are throw-away. I have put some in the freezer overnight and reused them the next day but there is a higher risk of having varnish "blobs" when doing this. They come in different qualities and I use the best I can find. The cheap ones from the dollar store tend to shed pieces of foam.

mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Here's another little bit of information to store in your head. After the foam brush is used, let it sit and dry. You're going to throw it away anyway, right? After the varnish is dry, peel the foam off the brush. What you have now is a nice little squeegee on a handle to use up around the inner stems while you're glassing your next boat. I used one of these on my Redbird while glassing the inside and the handle helped me reach into the tight area.
Danny Turner

Brush cleaning

Post by Danny Turner »

Thank you, the both of you.As I said I`ve never seen foam brushes before and now I have seen my first. They look handy and easy to use. Can you use thr "Tip Off" method with these?
Great idea for a squeegee. Now all I have to do Is trawl Ireland to see if anyone supplies.I bet if I ask for a "foam" brush folks will think I`m crazy ( We`re so advanced here)
Then again maybe I`ve been seeing them and not taking them in, having no reason to before now.

Thanks again

Danny
Bryan Hansel

Re: Brush cleaning

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Danny Turner wrote:Can you use thr "Tip Off" method with these?
You sure can. For varnish, I roll and then tip off with these exact foam brushes.

Bryan
BradRob

Post by BradRob »

I know this is an old post but i thought i would revise it.
I have a brush tank that i have used for years while i was a painter, but a coat hanger and a small bucket will do the same thing. Cut a piece of heavy wire or coat hanger so that the length spans the top of your bucket. Thread the end of the wire through a hole in the end of your brush handle (you'll need to drill one on foam brush handles) and suspend the brush in the bucket so that the brush bristols or end of foam doesnt touch the bottom of the bucket. Fill the bucket with mineral spirits until the thinner is just past the heel of the brush or top of the foam. When your done varnishing wipe excess varnish off brush and hang in bucket until you need it again. When ready to use again spin the brush dry between your hands while still in the bucket and tap the heel lightly on your toe to dry the brush. With foam brush i squeeze out all the thinner and then wipe it on a smooth dry board. I never let my badger hair and china bristols dry out and i have reused my foam brushes several times until the foam deteriorates from use.This method wont work for epoxy just oil base products.When i use to paint for a living i would reuse the old thinner and colorants to make stain but these days i dispose of it at my refuse facility.