Poly-urethane glues (Gorrila Glue)

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Arctic

Poly-urethane glues (Gorrila Glue)

Post by Arctic »

For gluing tasks such as stems, gunwales, or anything you want to glue together- I find that Gorrila Glue is an excellent choice- easy to work with and apply- it is great for joining items. Strong, Waterproof, easy to apply and clean up.

From Canadian Woodworking:

Polyurethane glue (such as Gorilla Glue) is waterproof and works on many materials (including woods). It has a 20 minute open time and needs to be clamped for 4-5 hours, it comes to a full cure after 24 hours. The glue expands when curing, but has low gap filling properties- so it is best left for joining items where glue application is hidden.

I have used it on stems and wales- it has worked out very well for me. Clean-up is with mineral spirits, drys to a yellow colour.

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Doug

Post by Doug »

I my mind the polyurathane glues are outstanding for all things that need to be waterproof.
How do you find the sanding of them?

The top addhesive is a two part epoxy.

For the laying of the strips I use;
-Lee valley gap filling cabinet glue (light brown)
-titebond II (light brown)
Titebond III (darker brown)

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

I haven't found that this is a good glue to sand (The Gorila Glue)- keeping in mind that it expands, I apply it sparingly in areas I know will be covered. Any that does protrude out I trim with a sharp boxxutter.

Mark
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Arno photo

Post by Arno photo »

I've choose this glue for my boat. It's drying buy using water include in the air (you can make a test by wetting a piece of wood before puting the glue and an another piece dry).
The sanding isn't clean but it's a good thing for the glassing. The epoxy will glue very well on gorilla glue (the surfboards are mainly made of polyurethan foam in polyester resin around). But my experience show that in time (5 to 10 years) the glue like humidity. So you'd better put very well epoxy around.
The best thing with gorilla glue (in Europe) it's we can find it easily (instead of carpenter glue) and the glue color is nearly Red cedar one's.
My blog talking about Canoë's building:
http://arno.canoe.over-blog.com/
My blog talking about surviving:
http://rando-survie.over-blog.com/