Plugging Outwale screw holes

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
ealger

Plugging Outwale screw holes

Post by ealger »

I've not seen a lot on how to make plugs for covering screw holes in outwales.

One way is to begin by laying out the outwale holes and drilling a flat bottomed 3/8" countersink hole with a forstner bit perhaps 5/16" deep. ( I mount a platform on my drill-press to hold the outwale aligned to drill the hole precisely in the center-line of the outwale.

Replace the forstner bit with a drill bit of the correct size to pass the screw shank you intend to use when mounting the outwale. Drill all the pilot holes.

Obtain a tapered 3/8" plug-cutter. I like to cut plugs from a piece of 4/4 Cherry for my Ash outwales.

Proceed to cut the tapered plugs in rows along the board but don't cut clear through the board!

Now, take a straight edge and make a pencil like across all the plugs parallel to the wood grain. The line will be used to lineup the plugs grain with the length of the outwale and will give that extra professional touch!

Place masking tape and across the plugs and proceed to cut them out with a bandsaw (preferred) or tablesaw. ( My plugs end up about 1/2" long ). The tape will keep them from rolling all around.

(Note that there is some danger in resawing a board with a table saw! Don't say I didn't warn you! If you must use a table saw, don't cut through the center-line of the board. Leave a web so the board won't collapse and kick back on you! ).

It's possible to snap the plugs from the board with a screw-driver put tends to ding up the plugs. All otherways aside, saw them free with a hand saw. Ugh.

Mix up some epoxy, add it to the hole, align the plug grain, and tap the plug home.
Ed...
Ed Alger