Repairing Mold Forms

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
stovetop

Repairing Mold Forms

Post by stovetop »

I recently had to repair a few of my mold forms due to dropping them on the way downstairs. I checked the posts in this forum and saw some ideas of iron-on edging and that really didn't help me because they were damaged in the bottom corner of the "mushroom cap" so to speak, so I had no edge to glue to (My molds are MDF by the way).
After much deliberation in my "Moaning Chair" I had the idea of using Bondo General Repair Putty. Not the Auto Body Filler, but the household variety. It has worked out great so far. It is easy to mix, apply and shape to what you need and it seems to have bonded very well to the MDF.
I figured since the mold edges will be taped up anyway, there is no chance for some wierd chemical reaction between the putty and glue, glass, resin etc. If someone knows of this being a big no-no, please let me know. I have yet to start stripping, so if I need to do them over, it's not too late. Otherwise, I am going to go with it.
Thanks
Mark
"I'm up, I'm dressed, what else do you want?
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Mark,
Sorry you dinked your forms. It sounds like you found a good solution. Depending on the depth of the Bondo, you may need to use a small nail for your shear strip so you can get into some MDF for hold. It'll be covered by the gunwale, so don't worry about the hole. Post a few pics so we can see how it all works out.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."