Why didn't I think of this before?

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Patricks Dad

Why didn't I think of this before?

Post by Patricks Dad »

My garage has only a small number of electrical outlets (in the wrong places). It occured to me the other night, after wearing out the end of my extension cord from swappng back and forth between the drill, the sander and the sabre saw, that there had to be a better way.

This morning (instead of working on my tax return), I installed 4 pairs of outlets on my strongback and connected it to my extension cord. Now I've got convenient power where I need it.

faceplates to follow...

I'm probably the last guy to have thought of this (and as an electrical engineer, it's embarassing to not have thought of it long a go) but just in case, I thought I'd post this idea.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
ealger

Power Idea

Post by ealger »

:applause Randy, what a great idea! I suppose you've dedicated a short cable with plug to the strongback?
Ed...
Ed Alger
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Great idea Randy. Just be careful while raising the grain.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Randy,

Great idea. I will also consider this, but right now, it is not my stumbling block. Perhaps when I get to a more progressed stage on my current build I might give it a shot (after all, I have all the electrical hardware kicking around).

Snowman
Snowman back East
ealger

Great Idea

Post by ealger »

No problem for those raising grain sessions. Since Randy is an electrial engineer, I'm sure one of the plugs is a ground fault detector.
Ed...
Ed Alger
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Glen, I told you I thought I was waiting too long for the glue to set on my strips....

Yes, they are Ground Fault Protected...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
ealger

Plug Cover

Post by ealger »

Randy, way cool! :applause
Ed Alger
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

OK, that face plate just goes above & beyond the call of duty. Nice touch.

Although I think I've seen it somewhere once before, this is a great tip to have in the tool section, and you did it with a style that surely has not been matched.

Cheers,
Bryan
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Randy, even the sockets seem to have a surprised look because of the beauty of their surrounding.