Glue up?

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
huntsman109

Glue up?

Post by huntsman109 »

I have found that by taping the forms on the edges with tuck tape that it prevents any glue sticking to any part of the canoe. It really helps.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Tuck tape=good
masking tape=bad

I used packing tape on half of my forms but ran out. On the rest I used masking tape. When I pulled the hull off of the forms, much of the masking tape came with the hull and had to be scraped out. The packing tape worked OK, but I like the tuck tape idea because it's likely a lot stronger.
Cheers,
Bryan
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

OK, I'll bite. What's "Tuck Tape"? Do you mean "Duct" tape, the (usually) silver stuff that is used to hold air conditioning ducts together? That's what I usually use to good effect.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

canoeblderinmt wrote: What's "Tuck Tape"?
Tuck tape is the red stuff - kinda looks like thick red packing tape. As far as I know, it's used to join sheets of vapour barrier and various other house construction applications.

canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Sweet looking stuff! I'll have to try some on the next canoe!

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."