Recessed Kayak Deck Fittings

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Bryan Hansel

Recessed Kayak Deck Fittings

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I've been working on recessed deck fittings for the Iggy, and planned on building them out of wood. I ordered in router template guides, made templates, built the wooded pieces, and the velcro on my sander gave out, so I couldn't sand the bottom of the fittings to make them round. Nowhere in town had a replacement and it looked like two weeks of waiting, but I noticed some foam in the shop that is used for arranging flowers.

I cut a piece of foam, pushed it through the holes in the deck and it went through forming the shape of the hole. I used my fingers to round the corners, and I had a perfect deck fitting mold. I coated the the foam with PVA, then mixed some thickened epoxy up with microballons and silica and coated the mold with a thin layer.

After this I laid up 6 layers of 5 ounce tight weave glass over the mold on the inside of the hull. After it was dry, I popped out the foam mold, used acetone to clean out any extra foam. Sanded, put a thin layer of thickened epoxy into the recess, and laid in one layer of 6 ounce carbon fiber.

After the carbon fiber dried, I sanded it flush with the outside of the deck, and the result is a strong, nice looking recess.

I'm using Valley fittings inside the recesses to hold the ropes, but other items could also work.

Picture of the kayak as it currently is and a close-up of the deck fitting recess below. Have to finish the skeg today, then next week join the hull and deck.
Cross posted with KBBB
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Quite ingenious Bryan! As they say "Necessity is the mother of invention".
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Hi Bryan,

I'm not sure I entirely understand. At some point you are incorporating a horizontal post that will hold the deckline in the recess? Is this done after the fiberglass/carbon fiber recess is made on the foam mold? Or is the post pot in place afterwards?

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I'm using Valley Sea Kayak deck fittings in the recesses. I have Valley fittings on my fiberglass kayak and have been very happy with them, so I figured out a way to make them work with my cedar kayaks. Link to Valley's parts below. Just scroll down their part page and you'll see the fittings.

http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/partsaccessories.htm

So, the next step is to fill coat the carbonfiber, which I did in the afternoon yesterday, then drill a hole in the recess, put the fitting in and cover the nut with thickened epoxy to prevent leaks. A marine silicon would also work.

I got my Valley fittings with hardware from Seda Kayaks for $1.50 each. This could be done with a metal bar across the opening, but you'd have to lay in the carbonfiber very carefully. The metal bar would be inserted by poking it through the foam before glassing.
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Bryan, in the picture of the fitting is the fitting actually sitting upside down?