Plywood / Panel Cutting

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Rehd Brown

Plywood / Panel Cutting

Post by Rehd Brown »

I finally got around to getting around to working on my Sairy Gamp forms.. A whole lot of life has been getting in the way these past couple of months. I did a little clean up and broke out the cutting jig I've used for years.

I remember someone posting a question about an easier way to cut plywood, but can't remember what or how question was asked. Not even sure which forum I read it on.. this one, Guillemots or QajaqUSA. So, thought I'd put a picture up to show what I use.

If the table saw is buried, as it often is, I break out my saw horses, this jig and my skillsaw or jigsaw and get busy. If you don't have access to a table saw as well, this will come in handy.

You can set the skil-saw to cut 1/8" deeper than the plywood you are cutting and not do much damage to the jig. My first one lasted many years before it was too chopped up to use.. Using a jigsaw, you just saw until you reach a frame member, then lift up and set the work down on the other side of that frame member and move on. Uh.. stopping the saw while doing this, of course. For smaller articles, you can make the jig with more frames, closer together.

I build mine with 3/4" plywood, about 3 1/2" wide strips. The overall size is 3 1/2' x 7'. You can use deminsion lumber as well, but it has a tendency to split at grain and pieces fall off. I half-lap the joints and glue blocks in corners to stiffen up the joints.

I used to store it in the rafters in the garage, but now I just stand it up against a wall in the 'Canoe Cabana'. ( boat shop )
:wink

Hope this helps... ?

Rehd