Grab handles

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
doogalob

Grab handles

Post by doogalob »

I have another question for you all. As I am planning the hatches, cockpits, an so on for the final additions to my Reliance, I have decided to go with the method of using a copper pipe through the ends of the kayak to thread a cord through for a handle to carry the kayak with. I am also planning on using a rudder and I have seen some glimpses of these in conjunction with a rudder but not with enough detail to see how they work together. Won't the rudder be in the way of this type of carring handle? I am a green horn so is there something obvious that I am not getting here?
KenC

Post by KenC »

I drilled out a piece of 3/4" walnut dowel. to make a wooden "pipe", for my toggle loops. I think copper would look nice too.

I don't have a rudder on my Endeavour, so my toggles are right at the ends. Some commercial boats I've seen have the stern carrying handle just forward of the retracted rudder, so that neither interferes with the other. But I doubt you could use the pipe-through-the-hull method that far forward.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

You can install an eye-bolt through the deck in front of the rudder when in retracted position (as shown in KayakCraft). You will need backing block under the deck. This position can make it a bit difficult or uncomfortable to carry the kayak though. I have heard of some people using a grab loop with a rope long enough so it can be looped through a hole in the rudder head. You would have to make sure the rudder is well attached and won't come loose during transport.