Inwale shaping

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Stencil

Inwale shaping

Post by Stencil »

I just finished shaping the slots on my inwales a task I found particularly satisfying. A quick test run with some scrap on the router table was ugly and scary so I went to plan B.
I clamped the inwales together with the faces to be machined facing each other. I bored holes with a 1/2" forstner bit at each end of the layout for the slots, unclamped the inwales and went to work with a coarse rasp. It was very easy to hog out the waste between the forstner half holes and finish with a file and sandpaper. Any time I can use a hand tool instead of a machine and get better results I am happy. There is something about the symmetry of the slots I find very pleasing to the eye AND it beats the hell out of sanding epoxy.
S
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Yep...feels good doesn't it!!!! :applause
white_tail

Post by white_tail »

I found the best way to mill the radius for inwales small pieces, is to use a milling machine with a "new" end mill, place the small pieces in the vise, pull down the quill and remove the material. VERY SAFE, and really quick way to do them.