Finishing tip

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Tk

Finishing tip

Post by Tk »

I just learned from the local auto paint supply guy that a safety razor blade is good for removing runs in varnish or epoxy. I tried it and it work great, I did find that the blade dulls quickly so I substituded a paint scraper blade sharpened at a sharp angle work better and lasted longer. I dont know why I didnt think of this before.

He also steered me on to some sanding discs for the DA sander. The have grits from 80 to 3000 and are hook and loop connection. You use them dry, they are kind of pricy but work real well.

TGK
Dave G

Finishing tip

Post by Dave G »

Anyone using todays Marine varnishes knows about the frustrations in trying to get the " last perfect" coat on and calling it quits. I've had quite a few of those " last coats" and the frustration of finding one run or sag in the " last Coat" the following morning.

Many a time I've re-sanded the entire hull and re-coated. I've recently found a couple of little tools just for this problem. Eastwood company ( and probably others ) has 2 options for dealing with runs. Both have to be used on fully hardened varnish. The first is a Run Razor, about $7.00 US. The second is small Nib Files, (very fine metal finishing file pieces mounted on wood blocks for easy handling. Either one will remove a run or sag level enough with the surrounding varnish so that very fine sanding can smooth out the rest. It is very difficult to try and sand a run or sag without destroying the surrounding fish that may be " perfect ". In the event your sanding gets a little too gung-ho, 3M Finnesse it and Perfect It can restore the sheen you erased with the sanding.

Dave G
artistwood

runs

Post by artistwood »

best thing i have used so far to remove a run is 600 wet sandpaper wrapped around a paint stick or other smooth, flat object. a light touch will work wonders. levels the run without damaging surrounding finish.........bear
the voyages are the memories waiting to happen, the destination is the place we collect them...barry "bear" taylor