Scarf Joints

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Ben

Scarf Joints

Post by Ben »

On my first canoe, a Freedom 17-9, I purchased 10 foot WRC and EWC and butt joined during the entire build. I was pretty happy with the results, but thought I could do better. For my second canoe, I decided to scarf all of the joints as I built the canoe. I built a prototype miter box that was ugly but worked so well I decided to keep it:

I went into my old bag of tricks and built a Shooting Board (aka Chute Board) to finish off the angles. The set-up was made to make both my 6:1 scarfs and 30 degree accent pieces.

More info can be found on the web if you Google "Shooting Boards" or "Chute Boards", but you should get the general idea from the pictures. The joints take about 5 minutes from strip selection to glue-up per pair, and the results are fantastic! The whole set-up was made with scraps I had laying around and a $3 toggle clamp from Harbor Freight.

All of the scarfs are made AFTER the bead and cove are cut. I use the bead side of a scrap strip as a backing for the glue-up, and make a few passes with sand paper when the glue is dried.

Let me know if you would like more info!
CatFaber

Post by CatFaber »

Thanks Ben. This looks useful. I think I may try it on my next build.