Message to "Old Guy"

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Glen Smith

Message to "Old Guy"

Post by Glen Smith »

I am sorry, I deleted your topic.
A cloudy finish usually indicates a high humidity level in the shop/work area. Do you know the humidity level?
Old Guy

Re: Message to "Old Guy"

Post by Old Guy »

It was humid, but the varnish had dried for 2 weeks or so before I tried sanding it. The day I was sanding it was raining and I was using a wet sand paper. I was thinking the 600 grit paper was going to polish the finish not visibly scratch it.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I normally sand varnish with 220 grit dry and no scratches are visible.
You can try running a hot air gun or hair dryer over the varnish to get it warm to the touch but not hot. This should displace the humidity if that is your problem.
sedges

not understanding "cloudy"

Post by sedges »

I think that some of the later posts give a clue to the problem. Old Guy is expecting 600 grit to polish the finish, in other words leaving it glossy. 600 grit will not polish paint or varnish. It leaves a satin surface with not gloss. Old Guy needs to put on another final varnish coat and be satisfied with the results.

I suppose it might be possible to sand at extreme grits like 1200 and than a polishing compound with a machine buffer, then wax. What a lot of work that would be.

If bugs are a problem, spray the area before varnish(make sure none gets on the boat) and turn out the lights after you are done so as not to attract more bugs.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Thanks for the ideas folks. Looks like a stormy day here in the NE but got some paddling in last night. Maybe I'll try the 1000 grit wet paper to try to remove the scuffed finish I created. I'll wait to the end of the season before refinishing with another coat of varnish.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

As Sedges said, the last thing you do to the hull is to apply a final coat of varnish and do not sand it. This will give you the glossy surface you are aiming to achieve.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Good news and bad, weather in the NE finally got good in June so my wanting to fix my sanding mistake took a back seat to paddling. Now the bottom looks well use - which is great. Bad news hit a deer with the truck and needed to break out the skills of my youth to fix a fender and buy a new hood. While doing it I attacked the canoe again. Lots of work getting to look like new, but I won't sand the varnish again - unless I want to make it a piece of furniture.