Dust nibs, Final Varnish Coat and the Brown Paper Bag Trick

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
HighPlainsDrifter

Dust nibs, Final Varnish Coat and the Brown Paper Bag Trick

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

My final step (after applying 6 coats of varnish and fighting the ever present dust nib) was to go over the hull with a brown paper bag. I had a few small nibs and this trick worked for me and does not dull the finish.

I found this "Brown Paper Bag Trick" at "The Finishing Store.com". Their paper bag trick is as follows:

There’s almost always a little dust that settles onto the last coat of finish before it dries, even when you spray fast-drying lacquer. With slow drying varnish, there’s always dust stuck to the finish.

As long as the dust isn’t excessive and as long as the particles aren’t large, you can make the surface feel smooth by rubbing with a brown paper bag. Give the finish a couple of days to cure so you don’t scratch it.

A smooth feel is critical when judging the quality of a finish. It’s natural for people to run their hand over a finish. Feeling dust nibs says, “This is not a great finish.”

You’ll be amazed at how well the brown paper bag trick works. It doesn’t remove the dust; it just levels it so you don’t feel the tiny bumps anymore.
alick burt

Re: Dust nibs, Final Varnish Coat and the Brown Paper Bag Tr

Post by alick burt »

Hi High Plains Drifter
I tried this and am pleased to report it really works and whats more it takes no time at all to go over the whole hull!
Many Thanks
Alick :applause
HighPlainsDrifter

Re: Dust nibs, Final Varnish Coat and the Brown Paper Bag Tr

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Thank you.
I had my doubts about the effectiveness of using a paper bag, but I tried it. The result was a smooth feel, and at that point, I was DONE varnishing.