Full Mold Plans from ½ Mold Plans: Mirror Image Copy

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
HighPlainsDrifter

Full Mold Plans from ½ Mold Plans: Mirror Image Copy

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

A tip to create Full Mold Plans from ½ Mold Plans using "Mirror Image Copy"

I find the process of transferring mold lines to the board difficult enough and working with ½ size patterns (with an upside down carbon paper tacked to the back) doesn’t make the task any easier.

It is relatively easy to create a full mold pattern from ½ mold plans (like the plans sold at Bear Mountain). If you live in a town that has a print shop with “blueprint sized” copiers take your plans to the shop. The shop (Allegra) in my town tells me there is no distortion of copies on their equipment. Ask for a mirror image copy of your ½ molds. Typically I also ask for a “regular” copy of the ½ molds and a “regular” copy of the stem molds.

In your home, cut the mirror image copy exactly down the centerline. Next, align and tape (use transparent tape) the mirror image ½ mold copy to your “regular” copy. You now have a full mold plan to work with.

This copy work cost me $11 (USD) and, for me, the convenience far outweighs the cost of the copies and it also saves wear and tear on the original plans.