Easy scuppers

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Chipper1959

Easy scuppers

Post by Chipper1959 »

I'm fairly new here so maybe this isn't "news" to anyone but I thought this would be an easy way to machine scuppers...

Start with a board which is the width of 2 gunwales.
Draw a line down the center.
Mark on the line where you want your scuppers to start and finish.
Using a 1" spade bit, drill holes along the center line previously drawn, on the marks you made earlier.
Cut the board down the middle on a table saw.
Use a radial arm saw,(with a dado blade if you have one), to remove the material between the holes.
It would look something like in the attached drawing .

Once the material has been cut out, it's a simple question of sanding the area smooth. The edges of the scuppers are already rounded off from the radius of the spade bit. This radius can be changed by using a different size bit. I suppose a table saw or router could be used to remove the material between the holes instead of a radial arm saw...
Attachments
scuppers
scuppers
HighPlainsDrifter

Re: Easy scuppers

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

good idea
I do not follow use of a 1" spade bit. On a 3/4" gunwale that would be about a 1/2" round (+ - saw kerf). That seems a bit deep
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'd suggest a forstner bit instead of a spade...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Zack

Post by Zack »

I know this isn't an option for most, but a milling machine makes quick and accurate scuppers very safely. I did mine at school, with a 1/2" carbide spiral bit spinning at max (4000) rpm of the machine. Clamped both gunnels together, centred the table on the bit, plunged in the middle of the scupper and cut to my layout lines on each end.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Ah heck! That's cheating. :laughing