Glue up: A guide keeps plank from diving below hull surface

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
HighPlainsDrifter

Glue up: A guide keeps plank from diving below hull surface

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Problem: Long angles and short planks can be difficult to handle. Under the tension of bending a plank just enough to get the bead (point) heading home (into the cove), a point can dive below the hull surface with just a slight relaxing of your grip and unfortunate alignment. The dive can break off parts of the adjacent plank's cove and getting the plank back above the hull usually requires a bit of profanity.

Solution:
Picture 1: You are looking at the hull from the inside. On top of that 2x4 is my black rubber sanding block. I adjust the height of the 2x4 with tapered shims against the top of the strong back. The curved side of the block is toward the hull (contour was just about perfect). In the opening you will see the slender narrow tip of the next plank.

Picture 2: The tip of the plank will be deflected upwards (if by chance it decides to take a dive).

I used this technique on the 3rd and 4th (from the last planks) on the closing of my Ranger. I wish I would have thought of it before today. Anyway, it made my day go sweet and only the shaping of my double flat edge plank remains.

Cheers
Attachments
Sanding block for strip support.jpg
Sanding block for strip support 2.jpg
Patricks Dad

Re: Glue up: A guide keeps plank from diving below hull surf

Post by Patricks Dad »

Hey good idea!

thanks
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com