Strip Cutting Friction and Wax

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Stencil

Strip Cutting Friction and Wax

Post by Stencil »

Just finished ripping a pile of strips. Tried a skilsaw but found it slow and hard to achieve consistancy.
Set up a 48" fence on a Dewalt portable table saw. Lots of friction until I waxed the fence and table with paste wax. Huge difference. Thin-kerf skilsaw blade. Cruisin.
Jim Dodd

Re: Strip Cutting Friction and Wax

Post by Jim Dodd »

Just curious what skillsaw you used ?
I found that if I used a saw with at least 13amps, and a heavy cord, I had no trouble.
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Stencil

Post by Stencil »

Makita 15 amp. New blade.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

How many teeth on the blade ? I use a 24T Diablo blade. I've used some 40s and found they are harder to push through !

Wonder if they make an adhesive backed teflon tape that would ease the friction between the saw and the plank ?

I need to do some research.
Jim
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Lee Valley have some low friction tape: http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.a ... 53293&ap=1
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

When i was doing my strips , I did some research into what blades were best for ripping.

I started with 2x4s and for thicker pieces they recommend fewer teeth (~18), and a narrow kerf blade. As the thickness goes down to 3/4" the number of teeth recommended rises to the 24-40 range.

I found a lot of good information on the Freud website ( I am partial to the Freud blades) and ordered the blades recommended for each sawing operation and had very few problems. I ordered 2 blades for my 10" radial arm saw, 1 for cutting the 2x4s down and another one for strips. I also ordered a narrow kerf for my 8" skill saw, it is no more than 1/16" thick and it slices most wood like butter.

The website is worth a look see just for the chart of material, thickness and saw blade teeth chart.

Cruiser
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Thanks Glenn !!!
Just what I was looking for !
That will be on my saw the next time I cut strips !!!

Jim
cff

Post by cff »

I had good luck using thin kerf blades designed for skillsaws... 7 1/4" blade. I think I had a freud.. ripping bade. Used paste wax on all surfaces really helped. And don't forget some good feather boards.
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

When needed, I clean and wax my table saw top, planer bed, router stand rop and jointer tables. I sometimes do the associated fences as well. It makes a world of difference in performance and ease of use. I use Johnson Paste Wax.

Ripping strips, used a 24 tooth Diablo circ saw blade on my cabinet saw. Worked just great.
-JIM-