Building Two at a time

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Jim Dodd

Building Two at a time

Post by Jim Dodd »

I had this discussion with a friend the other day. On two occasions, I've done this, and it worked out great. So here's my two cents worth.

If you have a place big enough, and funds to buy materials, I think it's a great Idea.

1. Buying materials, cloth and resin in quantity can save big time, as well as sand paper, varnish and glue.

2. setting up to machine strips once, for two boats is a no brainer. Actual time spent machining would be about the same.

3. Stripping would be a little faster because you're in a groove. Seems like fitting the football strips would be easier, as it always seem to be a relearning experience for me.

4. Glassing, cost would be the biggest savings, but while your waiting for one to set for the next fill coat, you could be glassing the second.

5. Sanding I don't see a savings in time, just materials.

6. Varnishing , materials and time saving.

7. Trim would save in setting up to cut gunnels, and seat frames, as well as materials.

8. I'd recommend building a tandem and a solo. Most people find out after building that tandem, that it's hard to find a partner to share the experience, when you want to go. This is where the solo fits in !

Well that's just a few thoughts, Any other ones ?

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
alick burt

Re: Building Two at a time

Post by alick burt »

Hi Folks
I have just completed two boats together and was surprised by the amount of time I saved.These two are 15ft long as they are for a restaurant (to hang up for decoration!).I still made them good enough to use.Put three coats of resin inside and out on one.and just filled the weave only on the inside of the other with three coats on its outside.The one that will hang upright was also made without inwales and with simple small decks but that was the only economy made.
Two boats built in 308 hrs!

Cheers :wink
Alick.

woodencanoes.uk
sedges

Post by sedges »

I have often had one on the strongback and one in the cradle. I'd pull one off the molds and set up to strip the next while I finished the inside and trim on the other. I cannot imagine, especially at my age, glassing two in the same day as described above. My pace is a little slower these days!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Great looking canoes Alick ! I'd visit that restaurant all the time ! They might kick me out for just WINDOW SHOPPING ! :laughing

That is some fast work ! I've long since given up, keeping track of the hours. To me it's fun ! I haven't talked to a golfer yet that can tell you how long it took him to play a round ! Ha ! But two at a time does save !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Thank Jim
Hopefully they will get me some more orders! :wink
Merry Christmas!
Alick