Picking Planks

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Jim Dodd

Picking Planks

Post by Jim Dodd »

One of the first things a new builder must decide, is weather to buy strips, or cut you own ?
If you opt for cutting your own. Here is what to look for in your planks.
FLAT or horizontal grain planks will produce quarter sawn strips. These are my favorite, as they are strong, and easy to machine. They sand even, and produce a fine canoe, or kayak.
In a nut shell, here is a pick of what I look for when I sort planks for my strips. Image
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
JesseP

Re: Picking Planks

Post by JesseP »

Looking for advice on buying cedar locally to mill my own strips. My options are limited and am left to either rummage through the 16' 5/4 pile of WRC from Home Depot, or order WRC from local hardwood dealer. If I choose to order through hardwood dealer I cannot get full length strips and cost and delivery time would be much greater. My concern with boards from Home Depot is that I may get boards with more than desirable amount of knots and may be discarding a lot of lumber. A question I have is has anyone used lumber from Home Depot to mill their own strips? If so, how did it work out? Home Depot says it is premium WRC not sure if that makes much of a difference.

Thanks

JesseP
I'm up to my torch.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Jesse,

Sourcing the lumber first time can be both traumatic and frustrating ... I know it was for my first build. I called my local specialty shop and was told they only stock to 16' ... same as Home Depot ... I was finally resigned to looking at the Home Depot stock, when I decided to go physically check the specialty shop lumber yard .... I noticed a pile of 2x4's sticking out and asked the yard hand what they were ... he said that when they get a shipment, some of the clear premium grade came longer and they set it aside. These were 19-20' beautiful pieces and I had talked with the manager and was told they didn't stock longer than 16'. (BTW, second build I went back and they had 1x8s, but not 2x4s ... you just have to check).

It is important to go actually look in the yard for what is available.

Also, and maybe more important, the forum members here have scoped a lot of the available suppliers ... if you provide where you are looking, some one can likely help. I went from not finding any wood, to having 5-6 solid suppliers.

Brian
JesseP

Post by JesseP »

Cruiser,

Thanks for the advice.. I may go to the yard tomorrow and ask if I can go through any cedar length they may have laying around. If I am lucky enough to stumble upon some clear cedar boards then BONUS, if not I will resort to HD and go through their pallets. As per your advice I have added my location to my info in hopes that someone may be familiar with my area. If scarf jointing it is then that is what I will do.

JesseP
I'm up to my torch.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Don't see your location yet
JesseP

Post by JesseP »

Problem solved :wink
I'm up to my torch.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've done the lumber yard search thing.
I find, if I tell them what I'm using it for, they seem to be more helpful.

I Always buy #3, and better, finished on three sides. In other words Cheap stuff.
SORT SORT SORT ! Don't order sight unseen lumber for strips ! That brings back nightmares to me !
Some buy 2x4s, even 4x4s, and work them down. That's great if you have toolage to work with.
My preference is 1x stock. 1x8s or more preferable 1x12s.

In any case ! Good luck on the hunt !

Jim
AngieSchu13

Post by AngieSchu13 »

Our local Menards only carries up to 16' boards and last I checked they only had 5 cedar in stock in that length. I'll be calling around to our local lumber yards this week to see what they carry. I may have to go with short boards which will be a pain but I figure it's better than driving over an hour to the next sizeable town. Thanks for the tip also - I can pick out lumber for furniture but I've never picked any out for a boat!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Welcome to the site Angie, if you are looking for ideas where you can get wood, including your general locale is a good idea.

When i started my first build, finding lumber was a pita. Now I have done the legwork and there are several places I found around my area (I define around as within 3-4 hours), depending on what I am after.

Sometimes smaller supplies have a different stock than the box stores and they will sometimes get what you need, if you talk with them and let them know what you are using it for.

Yes you can use the Home Depot stuff to make your strips. Several builders make it a habit to sort through the lumber there every visit and grab whatever looks good, after awhile they have enough to start building. Don't get too caught up on the title applied to the wood, you want it to be relatively clear without large knots (obviously add colour in that list, but that is personal preference). 2" x 4" lengths are the most cost effective type to get. If you don't mind the look of knots, then you can stabilize the knots with epoxy before you make strips, then when you cut them, they won't fall apart/break at the knots. You can decide to cut them out or leave them, as you put them on the boat.

Good luck in your search ... keep posting here and let us know of your progress

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Angie

Look for another Menard's !

The one, 20 miles from me has been out of good Cedar for a long time.

I've found some 100 miles away, and if I needed some, I'd do the drive !

Menard's is happy to let you sort. I've bought almost all my planks from them ! Just do a good job of restacking ! Remember the best planks are on the bottom !

Know what to look for as far as grain orientation !

Even if you can only find suitable 1 x 4s, you can edge glue them and make 1 x 8s .

Cut them with a Skilsaw !

Good luck Hunting !

Jim
AngieSchu13

Post by AngieSchu13 »

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm in North Platte, Nebraska - aka the middle of nowhere. We do have a lumber yard closing down in the next 30-60 days so I'm going to go out there this weekend and see what they have and if they're having a sale. I'm thinking I'm going to have to seam every strip which is fine, just labor intensive but hey, I'm a stay at home mom so I have the time!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

When I get in that situation, I use an alternative method to all those joints on the boat.

I skarf shorter pieces together, to make a longer plank, then I cut my longer strips from that. No joining on the boat.

Just a thought.

Brian
AngieSchu13

Post by AngieSchu13 »

I may have to do that. I just called every lumber yard in town and no one carries over 16ft boards. Gah!
sedges

Post by sedges »

To find longer than 16' cedar you need to find a place that specializes in WRC. They are few and far between. For several decades I was able to get clear 1x6-12s up to 20 feet. Premium price, but zero waste. Worth the drive. All they sell is WRC and now cypress. So, look for a specialty yard in a big city.

Scarfing works great, too.