Building a few new paddles

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Cruiser

Building a few new paddles

Post by Cruiser »

This looks like a good place to put a few paddle pics. I am between canoe builds, before the next build I wanted to try my hand at a few paddles.

I wanted them to be light, but strong enough for tripping ... these are my second attempts, last year I did an all hardwood otter tail, I like the wood, but hate to carry it.

Shafts/blades are all red and white cedar, covered with 2.3 oz fiberglass, handles are all hardwoods (maple/basswood/walnut/cherry). Finish is 2 coats epoxy (blade has initial plus 2) with 2 more coats of satin Helmsman Spar.

[Image

Sugar Island at 1 lb 7 oz ... which was the heaviest of the bunch

Two Otter tails, white cedar with red cedar details, maple/walnut handles ... 1 lb 2 oz and 1 lb 3 oz

Three more Otter Tails.
(left) red cedar with red/white cedar details, cherry/basswood handle 1 lb 5 oz
(middle) red cedar with white cedar details, cherry handle 1 lb 6 oz
(right) red cedar with white cedar details, walnut maple handle 1 lb 7 oz

I have Sugar Islet bent shaft almost done and will post a few pics of those when I get them done.

Brian
Last edited by Cruiser on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spring

Re: Building a few new paddles

Post by Spring »

Very nice.

Right now I am up to my ears in finishing canoe 2. It has a deadline. In the works however, are paddles, 10 of them.

Mine will be way more pedestrian than yours. Yours are stunning.

Cheers!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Nice work as always Brian !
Are they for use ? Or just to look at ! They are pretty !
Beings you were concerned about the weight ! I'm guessing they will see water ! Good !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

All for tripping Jim, they won't be war clubs at that weight, but they should be strong with the fiberglass ... my first serious attempt for usable paddles. Randy's birds mouth paddles had me wanting to try paddles for a while .... so this will be a set of 10 paddles, some for me, some for friends.

One of my tripping buddies has a very light (looks to be white cedar) bent shaft, that one was inspiration for this set ... it was passed down from his father to him, so I know light paddles can be durable, if looked after.

I have a set of 4 bent shaft I will post soonish, they are close to done, but my first trip of the season is next week, so prep for that will have them sitting.

Brian
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Nice paddles! When/where is your trip?

I'm entering the BWCA tomorrow morning for a short 3 day solo paddle.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Thanks Randy,

BW ... I am jealous, I love that area, but it is a very long drive for me.

Heading into Algonquin at access point 17, SE side of the park, we haven't been in there before, so it should be nice to get into a new area.

Brian