New Stands for canoes

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Jim Dodd

New Stands for canoes

Post by Jim Dodd »

Struggling to finish my gunnels. I came up with a way to tip my canoe upside down, so I could Watco my gunnels, without getting my shiny new hull slathered with Watco drips. I put gravity to use !
Pics first.

I cut 4 - 2 x 2 x 6' 8". Mortised and beveled the bottoms of each.
Them I attached the bottom brace ( cut at least 28 " long).
Measured down 19" on each leg and drilled a 1/4" pivot pin hole. I used 1/4" bolts, and tightened them, so the legs wouldn't spread apart.

Pad the tops, and the stands are ready !
They worked great ! Can be stored easily !
They could also be modified to store two canoes !

I hope others can use this idea ! It has worked great for Me !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Snowman

Re: New Stands for canoes

Post by Snowman »

Jim

Clever stands.

I am curious about using Watco on the gunnels. Have you done this before? How has it turned out and what are the issues? Would you use it for all types of wood?
Snowman back East
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Snowman

I've used Exterior Watco since day one, (early 90's). Later on, I switched to Teak Watco. About $10 a quart.
Though I apply it differently than what the can recommends. I like a thicker build up !
The thing about Watco, that makes it superior to a Spar varnish, or a Polyurethane, you can scratch it, and it doesn't leave a White mark .
My technique, is to rub in the first coat, then foam brush on a coat, and let it dry. Some times this will take several weeks to lose that tacky feeling.

If in need to refresh it, I simply scuff it, and apply another coat.
My Gunnels and decks are usually Ash and Walnut. I've used it on Red Oak also.

A note, I glue and screw my Gunnels and decks on, sealing out moisture between the trim and hull. This, I give credit for the long life of the trim on my canoes. To date I haven't had to replace any of them.

Many now days coat their gunnels with epoxy. This is fine ! I've just had good luck with Teak Watco.
Helmsman makes a similar product. It dries faster.

I hope this helps !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Thanks Jim. I might try that on a future build...
Snowman back East