Epoxy mix small quantities

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
canoebuildinggolfer

Epoxy mix small quantities

Post by canoebuildinggolfer »

Epoxy is such a great tool but a bit messy when making up small quanties out of 2 and 4 litre containers........solution? Get 2 x 50ml syringes from the horse doctor...$2 ea in Australia.....and draw your epoxy in.......the syringes are marked in 1.0ml segments and a 50ml has 65ml of storage......even the smallest amount is very easy and accurate...BTW the back of the plunger is the measuring alighnment.....I've marked one with red marking pen and keep them loaded all the time.Cheers,Tony
WestCoastPaddler

Post by WestCoastPaddler »

For small amounts of epoxy I use the same method -- I'll have to get the horse syringes though -- they would be a much better size than the 10cc medical ones that I use.

I use ketchup and mustard bottles for drawing resin and hardener with syringes. After washing throroughly, I clearly mark each syringe and bottle -- one each for resin, one each for hardener. The nozzle ends are trimmed so that the syringe tip fits snugly inside. I then put some resin and hardener into the bottles and when epoxy is needed, I invert the bottle and draw the fluid into the syringe. Since the measurements are written on the syringes to be read inverted, it's easy to see how much of each component you have. I find it easiest to get accurate amounts by pulling more epoxy than needed, and then use the plunger to push the excess back into the bottle.

I then squirt the contents from each syringe into a cup for mixing.

After use, I stand the bottles up on the workbench and store the syringes in their respective bottles until I need them again.