Removing Fiberglass resin from your hands - how to

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
DaveyJ

Removing FIBERGLASS resin from your hands - how to.....

Post by DaveyJ »

Anyone who has ever worked with fiberglass resin has managed to get this stuff on their hands and removing it has always taken a lot of work.

I made a discovery years ago after getting fiberglass resin on my hands while working on car. I tried numerous cleaners with little if any affect until I reached for a very unlikely candidate. I had a can of Brake fluid sitting on my bench and in desperation I poured some into my hands. I was absolutely amazed as I watched the fiberglass resin literally lift off of my hands, with no effort.

I have known many people working in the fiberglass industry and none of them have ever heard of this before, but it is the fastest and easiest way of removing resin that I have ever seen.

Do yourself a favor and the next time you get fiberglass resin on your hands use brake fluid to remove it.
:lol:
Rod Tait

brake fluid?

Post by Rod Tait »

I would be interested to know how much of the dissolved resin was assisted to be absorbed into your skin and circulatory system by the brake fluid?

I usually recommend to customers to use simple vinegar to remove uncured resins and anything that does not come off, let it cure and them it will come off eventually as your body sluffs off dead skin.
hoz

Post by hoz »

Vinegar is the best. It neutralizes the resin and then the mess can be washed off with plain soapy water.

I dripped some poxy on a new sweatshirt a couple of days ago. After saturation with vinegar and then run thru the washer the spot is gone.

:eyebrows
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
Doug

Post by Doug »

Latex gloves?

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Kurt Loup

Post by Kurt Loup »

I use vinegar and one of the citrus based hand cleaners with pumice. I prefer the orange smell on my hands rather than vinegar, but both works well enough.

Kurt
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

In the video I got from Newfound Woodworks on fiberglassing, they say to use waterless hand cleaner. I tried to be careful and used latex gloves, but still got some on my hands. I used the waterless hand cleaner and it worked like a charm. I too like the citrus smell as opposed to vinegar, YUKKKKKKK
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Instead of removing epoxy from your hands, why not prevent the hazard in the first place?

When handling epoxy you should wear latex or nitrile gloves. An alternative to gloves is a product called "Gloves in a bottle". It is a lotion which, when applied to your hands, will prevent epoxy absorption through the skin. Any epoxy and the lotion can be easily washed off afterwards without using hazardous products that can thin the epoxy and drive it into the skin pores.

Gloves in a bottle is sold by Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,42207
patrick

Post by patrick »

It seems that there is no way to avoid getting stuff on your hands, even if you do wear gloves. I have found that Goo Gone works well and leaves your hands smelling like oranges. cool, huh?
canoebuildinggolfer

Post by canoebuildinggolfer »

It dosn't matter that you wear gloves you ALWAYS seem to touch something after you have finished....I've found that you can remove the offending stickyness by using masking tape to stick sticky to sticky...works every time ! how do I know? TC :laughing
hoz

Pappy used to say

Post by hoz »

my Grandad used to say, "I don't care if it's shit or perfume, if you're working with it, you're bound to get some on ya!"

:big grin
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
canoebuildinggolfer

Post by canoebuildinggolfer »

Maybe off topic, but i'm currently listening to...http://www.radioyesteryear.org.au/....and a canoe in Calypso is where I'd like to be ! TC