Outgassing example

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Juneaudave

Outgassing example

Post by Juneaudave »

I thought this was interesting. I was epoxy coating a piece of mahogany to be the keelson on the Rice Lake. The first picture is of the second coat being applied. Note the "hot" halogen light at the end:

This second picture is of an area not hit by the "hot" halogen light. No bubbles:

This third picture is of the area warmed by the light...lot's of bubbles caused by outgassing from the increasing temps:

Lessons:
One: The advice to preheat your room prior to applying epoxy and let the room be cooling is true.

Two: Precoating (this was a second coat) does not completely seal the wood. It will still breathe and the possibility of outgassing still exists.

...Juneaudave
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Dave, Good pictures. I'm glad do see my work area is just as neat as yours. My wife can't understand how I can find anything! I told her I am all right until someone else moves something.

Daveinmaine.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Doug

Post by Doug »

Juneaudave;

Would the "piece of mahogany" being epoxied be still a little wet / green?
Would this happen regardless of wood moisture content? Gas content?
Or would it be the heat acting on (only) the epoxy?

All the best,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM