First time boat builder

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Nachako

First time boat builder

Post by Nachako »

For those first time builders that are trying to decide on 3 coats or 4 coats of epoxy on the out side hull . I personaly wish I had done 4 coats just for that little extra depth .
Doug

Post by Doug »

I did 3 coats of epoxy and 3 coat of varnish on the outside.
I did 2 coats of epoxy and 3 coat of varnish on the inside.
The 2 coats on the inside leaves a bit of the fiberglass weave for traction.
The more coats you apply the heavier it becomes.
I'm not sure that with a fourth coat it becomes any "stronger".

That is quite a backpack you have in your picture.

All the best,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The number of coats depends on the thickness of the cloth used, the viscosity of the epoxy used and the application techniques used.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Glen, with a 3.2 oz weight cloth how many coats (of epoxy) would you recommend?

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Doug, I have use 3.8 oz and 5.9 oz E-glass from Noah's and I used three coats of epoxy on both. I did not do a pre-coat on the bare wood. I have also used the 5.9 oz with a pre-coat plus two coats on the cloth.

The number of coats most likely depends on the cloth used, the resin used, the porosity of the wood, the application method and the builder. Three coats seems to be quite common. If using a roller, that could go up to four or five coats.