Endeavor construction problem: bonding the hull to the deck

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Karl Huebner

Endeavor construction problem: bonding the hull to the deck

Post by Karl Huebner »

As prescribed, the deck went onto the hull like a cookie jar. Pulled it off, put a fast coat of epoxy on the "uncoated" shear clamp. Then I put the epoxy "glue" on the shear clamp.
Unlike the "how to" in the book, I did not place the hull on top of the deck but put the deck on top of the hull. Screwed the two parts together and let it dry.
Apparently, I did not use enough glue to fill all of the gaps.... the book says something about the epoxy glue running down the inside of the kayak's hull. Well, I did not have any runs.
Did I not use enough epoxy glue? Is there someway to engineer the guard to re-enforce the joint between the hull and deck?

Karl Huebner
Columbus Ohio
Doug

Post by Doug »

I would imagine that you have a good bond.
What you also want is a good seal, water tight.

Can you lay the kayak on its side?
There should be the crack / space where the hull meets the deck.
Get a syringe filled with epoxy flood the space / crack with epoxy to seal.
You may want to watch and prevent the epoxy from flowing right through to the inside, dam up the inside of the hull / deck joint.
This may take a few trys.

Good luck,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM