Removing Epoxy Glue with a hot airgun????

If you know a good tip or technique to help get through a construction "stumbling block", please post it here. If you have questions concerning building problems, please post them on the "Builders' Forum".
Chris

Removing Epoxy Glue with a hot airgun????

Post by Chris »

Hello,

today I started cleaning the inside of the hull, which is a lot of work (especially because I glued with epoxy... :laughing ) - it works fine, but it takes a lot of time.
As I had problems with my first coating on the outer side of the hull, I scraped all down using a hot air gun and a stainless stell squeegee. It worked well in most cases.

Here comes my idea: Would it be a good idea to use this method to scrape off the gluerest from the inside? It would be fast and quick - but I´m worrying about to degreede the glue which holds the planks together - so, maybe it`s not a good idea?

Best regards

Chris
---------------------------------------
www.natur-im-sucher.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have never tried this myself but, if you apply just enough heat to soften the epoxy and scrape it without applying too much pressure, it might work. Keep a close eye on the outer hull for any unwanted side effects like discoloration, softening or joints opening.

It might be safer to just scrape it cold. It would take more time but the result might be easier to control.
John E

Post by John E »

two words - "Cabinet Scraper"

Once you learn to use one you will ask yourself what all those pieces of paper with sand on them are for.

Joking aside the cabinet scrapers are a great way to clean up hardened (cured) glue and will also replace sand paper in many instances leaving a very smooth and clean surface. I took an old wall rack and used a cabinet scraper to remove the paint from it did it in no time and with no chemicals or heat.

Only thing is you will have to learn how to put an edge on it but that only takes a few minutes to learn and seconds to do once you know how.
Fish

Post by Fish »

I run a water treatment plant and a lot of times I have to make quick repairs on PVC.

In these situations, I have to remove pipe from fitting without ruining the integrity of the fitting.

If i heat the pipe in order to remove it just enough that it makes the glue soft and doesn't heat up the fitting I find that I can push the softened pipe in and then twist it off like a lid to a sardine can and all is well.

Of course these are totally different materials, but plastics of all kinds behave similarly. So far this has been 100% effective and durable.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. Poe