600 construction photos, giving back to the forum.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
shawnwaite

600 construction photos, giving back to the forum.

Post by shawnwaite »

First off.. let me thank the fine folx here that helped me with my project.. more than you know. I've been "lurking" here for a long time.. hardly asking any questions b/c they've already been asked AND answered.

In my own way of giving back to this community, I've built a web site of my cedar strip canoe construction.

after many "years" of construction... and over a year in the water.. the canoe is old news.. but I just finished making the web page for it. (50 hrs? over 3 months)

Almost 600 photos of canoe construction..
12 months worth of consecutive paddling accounts... (in Maine!)
Two paddle making galleries..
Aerial photos of paddling put-ins...
Recreational photos of a years worth of paddling..
4 short movies...
and a guessing game to boot..

If you have 3-4 days.. (smirk) look at the page.. there's a bunch there..

I hope for it to grow into a "learning" tool for other canoe crafters... that's what the "Experience Speaks" section is for.. it may take a couple years for ppl to populate it (Glen please contribute!).. but I hope for it to be used to help others in their construction.

At least go there to play the game! You could win a Nature Photo!

Thank you Bear Mtn Boat... and thank you all!

http://shawnwaite.com/canoe/

Shawn Waite
Prospector Ranger Builder/Owner.
I still have sawdust up my nose.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I just took the quickie 30 photo look so far and I am impressed! I have bookmarked it and I will definitely be going over the whole website in my spare time. Thanks for putting all this together.
shawnwaite

Thanks Glen

Post by shawnwaite »

Thanks Glen...

I've relied on yours and others experience to build my boat.. and was hoping that fine folk like yourself could take the time (over a period of time) to add to the website to make it a place that others could use as a reference tool.

Thanks for the peek.. come back as often as you like.. it's free!

S.
David James

Post by David James »

Hey Shawn, I have to say that's one heck of a web site you got there! I just took a look and cliked on the "600" botton and was astounded as all your beautiful photos just kept pouring onto my screen. You clearly spent a lot of time getting the site up and going - it's trully impressive. :applause :applause :applause
As a first time builder I frequent this forum quite a bit and find photographs to be very helpful. I'll get back to your site from time to time for sure, Thanks for it! :wink

Dave in Glenview, Illinois
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
shawnwaite

Thanks

Post by shawnwaite »

Thanks David..

That was my first canoe (hopefully not my last) and I did spend a lot of time putting the page together.. to think i took over 700 photos during construction! Thats like adding a few hours to the project! A photo every half hour of construction! (i wish it was spaced that way)

Thanks for visiting.. please come back as often as you like... and feel free to add to the "Experience Speaks" section to help others in their projects.

S.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Wow...I'm a thinking this is one of the best documented canoes ever...congratulations on your build and thanks for sharing your experience with net_communitity and the BBS..Juneaudave :applause
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Nice looking site. I have to give you the award for longest builder's log. I thought mine was getting long on my latest creation, and now I'll have to write a bunch more to catch up. Thanks for sharing.

Bryan
shawnwaite

Thanks Guys..

Post by shawnwaite »

Thanks guys for visiting and your compliments.

Bryan I've been to your pages in the past.. love your photos.

The page was built for sharing w/ the community.. nothing to buy.. just come and eat it up.

S.
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Very nice site - well designed with a professional look. It is clear you have spent more time on it than some of us hacks. The canoe of course looks great too. I look forward to spending more time there going through it.

Cheers,
Bryan
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

You 're an artist. Photography, canoe building, building a beatiful website.
Thank you for promoting our hobby.
I hope you don't mind me addng your link to my website.

Erik, Belgium.
Peter Kotowych

canoe site

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Hey Shawn,

Thank you!! Great job!!!

Pete