Ever tried the Glubot?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

OK, since you have only received 14 responses... :rolling eyes

I also took note of Glen's marvellous idea to use a hair dye applicator with regular yellow carpenter’s glue. I use an 8 oz bottle which allows me to apply numerous strips fom one fill, but still allows for reasonable access (without being too big). If access is a problem, you also get them in a 4 oz bottle. The applicator works like a charm to control the amount of glue applied, and I actually got reasonably good at it, nearly eliminating squeeze-out. Now if I could only master all of Glen’s other tricks, skill and creativity…
Snowman back East
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

OK, since you have only received 14 responses... :rolling eyes

I also took note of Glen's marvellous idea to use a hair dye applicator with regular yellow carpenter’s glue. I use an 8 oz bottle which allows me to apply numerous strips fom one fill, but still allows for reasonable access (without being too big). If access is a problem, you also get them in a 4 oz bottle. The applicator works like a charm to control the amount of glue applied, and I actually got reasonably good at it, nearly eliminating squeeze-out. Now if I could only master all of Glen’s other tricks, skill and creativity…
Snowman back East
David James

Post by David James »

Ok, Ok I'll admit it - I went to the beauty shop for the dye bottel too! :embarassed
It worked well for me and my first boat. A curved tip on it would help.

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Dave, are you saying that a curved tip would be better because you did the stripping with the cove up? If so, I agree that a curved tip would help in the glue application especially once the strips start to become more horizontal and you can hardly even see the cove you are trying to apply the glue in.

I strip my boats with the cove down. I hold the strip in a vertical (cove up) position and apply the glue to the cove then I install the strip. I have a better control of the amount of glue applied and I don't damage the cove of the strip I am installing since I am applying pressure to the bead edge of the strip.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I won't tell you where I get my hair done, but I will mention that I have found a bottle with an angled tip.
Snowman back East
David James

Post by David James »

Glen, I did my strippinig with the cove up and as I applied the glue I would often bump the glue bottle against the forms and each time it happened I thought, "wouldn't a curved tip work better?". No big deal, to be sure, but don't we all try to think of better ways to do things as we go along? Like stripping with the cove down maybe?? :eyebrows I might have to try that on my second boat.

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Next canoe..I'm thinking cove down with the "fishing line" method!!! It's just too intrigueing not to give it a shot!!! Juneaudave :wink
shontsea

Post by shontsea »

I bought a GluBot today from a local shop, but I haven't tried it yet. It looks great in pictures but after buying it and handling it a bit maybe not. The bottle is pretty stiff, and the cap doesn't want to stay on the stem or the "holder" very well. This one might be a loser, GREAT idea, poor execution.

I forgot to add the madatory "I'll update everyone after I use it for awhile" statement. I'm not counting this product out yet.