Nomad first launch

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tim Regehr

Nomad first launch

Post by Tim Regehr »

I finally finished my first canoe project... The Nomad... and put in in the water for the first time this weekend with a buddy of mine. It performed just great! The first day was on a clear calm day in a medium sized lake. The second was on a windy day in a rather larger lake. Both days were wonderful. The boat was a pleasure to paddle and we had no problem going against some pretty good white-caps. We are both somewhat experienced canoers and decided to go 90 degrees to the wind and whitecaps to check out its stability and controlability. Once again, no problem. We took on water a couple of times due to good sized waves splashing over amidships, but the canoe was very stable.(I would not have taken my kids out in that wind, but it was good to test the canoe). Also I fly fish, so I wanted to see how it was as a fly-casting platform. Just great! I will try to figure out how to post a picture of it, but in the mean time, will email pictures to anyone interested.

By- the- by, Thanks to all who post on this forum.... your advise and subject matter coverage is invaluable. Thanks also to Ted and Joan for providing this great resource.

Tim
jcolten

Post by jcolten »

There was a recent thread about the possibility of the Nomad's bottom oil canning .... Any sign of that in yours?
Rick

Post by Rick »

Many happy years of use with the new boat! Sounds like it'll be seaworthy enough to trip in rough waters, something that the 16' Prospector was also good for.

This was something I was also looking forward to in something smaller, the Huron looked like it had the right lines, so I had to try it. Maybe by August it'll have it's first windy day on a large lake.

Good luck and good paddling,

CedardustsniffersRus.com
Rod Tait

Congrats Tim

Post by Rod Tait »

I expect to see that boat at the "Meet at the Beach" on Aug 22. If you want to e-mail me a photo, I can post it through my web server.
Riverrat

Nomad

Post by Riverrat »

Hello. I'm brand new here and I'm afraid after months of research I've been infected by the dreaded "Strippers Disease". Looks like a pretty bad case of it. So bad, that after doing all the reading I could, I have finally decided to build and have narrowed my choice of canoes to build down to the Nomad. I'm glad someone has built one and has had good luck with it. I'd really like to see a picture of one, since all I have seen are the drawings on the Bear Mtn Website. I've been looking for pictures or a report before I made the leap to buy the plans etc. Could you please email me a picture?