New Member sends Greetings from Finland

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Classic Finn

New Member sends Greetings from Finland

Post by Classic Finn »

I am new to this Board and my wife and I would like to send all of you a very warm greeting from the Land of The Midnight Sun - Country of Finland.

I was told about your nice sight from a gentleman living in California..so I thought to drop on in and learn about canoes and canoe making...We have always wanted a special looking canoe compared to the ones that are either fiberglass or kevlar.. The beauty of the cedar strip canoes is what attracts us..

One question that comes to mind off hand is: Are there makers of the cedar strip canoes
near Houston,Texas as we have a possibility of shipping one from there?Or companies
that could have a canoe shipped to Houston from other States?

Or are there cedar strip canoe builders in Scandinavia or The European Continent anywhere? As we are not familiar to any.

Fiberglass and kevlar canoes are available here in Finland such as Winona or OldTown.
It would be very special to own one of cedar strip..

Again Best wishes to you All from Finland
Sincerely
Classic Finn and Family

PS - Maybe this should have been posted in General?? Forgive us if it is so.. :confused
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Classic Finn,
Welcome to the forum!!!
I moved the post for you...
BTW-Be careful about them cats from California. :laughing
Classic Finn

Post by Classic Finn »

Hey Buddy
Them California cats are everywhere - even on the worldwide web.. :shocked

Classic Finn
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Welcome aboard Classic Finn, if the Californian doesn't get you, the Canadian will. :laughing

I sent you a personal email a few minutes ago and I could provide some links to boat builders in Europe if you wish.
Classic Finn

Post by Classic Finn »

Thank You Glen...A pleasure to hear from you.. I replied to your email immediately as well.

Yup never know whose following you.. right Dean? :laughing
Well the Canadians will get us in Hockey at the latest... :eyebrows

Classic Finn
Dean in Eureka, CA

Yaa... I here that there's only two occupations in Canada.... 1. Hockey Players and 2. Boat Builders... :laughing
Classic Finn

Post by Classic Finn »

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Yaa... I here that there's only two occupations in Canada.... 1. Hockey Players and 2. Boat Builders... :laughing
Here as well.. Ship Building and Hockey ! But I,ll be Diplomatic about the Hockey Subject
The ship building is big here though.. If you have been on RCCL or Carnival ...etc..
Including the photo in my avitar.

Classic Finn
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Finn,
OK, enough small talk. You've been on this forum at least 4 times, and you're still wanting someone else to build you a canoe. I'm sure there are a bunch of folks that would love to sell you a handmade canoe, but by now (if you've been paying attention) you should be asking about what design would suit your needs the best, where you can buy materials, and other such questions about building your own canoe. What a GREAT project it is, and your wife can get involved, too, if she's so inclined. Come on, Finn, I hear that your people are very resourceful and great at boatbuilding. If I can do it, anybody can. Besides, you're going to need to know how to repair it, too. Jump in there man, you won't regret it.
A hui ho,
Kent
Dean in Eureka, CA

Kent,
I told him the same thing...
His wife would be very good also, she is very good with her hands...
You should see the jewlery she makes!!! :applause
Classic Finn

Post by Classic Finn »

Aloha Kent

Thank you for your encouragement and nice thoughts.. At this time however building
our own canoe is out of reach due to us having no garage or shop to build in. Another
set back is that winter is with us for the next 5 months.. :crying

Yes my wife is very creative and talented with designing and making different things.
She is a Gold and Silversmith..

We do know of which Canoe we would like and the purpose for its use..

If we had a place to build we would certainly go for it.. so that is why we would be ready to purchase a ready made design..

The Finns are very well known Internationally in Boat and Ship building for sure..

We,ll see in a short while what we can come up with..
Thanks again
Best wishes
Classic Finn and Family
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I built my first canoe in my living room. :) And then I never stopped. The garage is now full of boats.

Bryan
Classic Finn

Post by Classic Finn »

Good evening Brian

I just showed your post to my wife... and I could tell by the expression on her face she
wasnt too enthused about the idea, especially when our 1 year old is all over waddling
around... :laughing

Nice photography on your website..

Classic Finn
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Sorry, I have nothing to say about your original topic... I just had to chime in on the comments about Californians, Canadians, and of course, Hockey.

Now, I am a Canadian living in California (only for another 6 months :sad ), and I happen to like to play hockey. So, what does that make me (other than a displaced person)?

I work with some Finns, so I like to remind them about some recent hockey victories (I don't talk too much about F1 - any more!). While I am proud of our national hockey teams, I am sure that one day Finland will also be victorious! Not only are you good people, you are also good hockey players!

I would also like to wish you all the best for the Finnish Independence Day! We celebrated this morning.

I do agree with some previous comments - if you want a stripper, you have to do it yourself! There is so much more satisfaction to paddling your own - if you can! Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Snowman back East
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I do agree with some previous comments - if you want a stripper, you have to do it yourself! There is so much more satisfaction to paddling your own - if you can! Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
You should have said "If you start it, you will Finnish it". :laughing
hoz

Post by hoz »

I too built my first boat in the living room. It was a 13' skin on frame solo kayak. My wife went home to her Momma after 2 months. One old fellow at work said, "Sure she left you, she could see it only had ONE SEAT!"

Upon finishing I remodeled the room and she came back home. :big grin
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar